Mapping Cota 4RT 2017 vs. 2018

hc-hardy

Hello all together,

Maybe someone has a few informations for me. In our club we had a few 4RT from all years. I have the 2017 standard version and I'm super happy with it, my buddy tried it, found it also great and bought one. Modell 2018. We all thought this is exactly the same bike (not the bahplatte, chainguard and decals ;-)) But when we swaped bikes there was this "WTF-moment" the 2018 modell seems to have much more power in the topend, and also more agressive at low rpm. All bikes are in "fullpower-mode". So my question is: Is it only a new mapping in the ECU or did they changed something mechanicaly, like more compression diffrent camshaft.... When it is only a ECU thing, can I remap my ECU ?....

Thanks for your input.

hardy

As an owner of an '09 it had escaped me that there was a 2018 model, with no apparent announcement, though looking now they don't seem to have changed the appearance of it.

I found the 2017 to be softer off the very bottom than my 250 and seemed to go slower in first, so much so that it almost felt lower geared which of course it is not, and the better for it.  I would have expected some fanfare if changes such as you feel had been made.

Better informed comments will no doubt follow and I will be interested to learn from them.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

2016? and 2017 had map switch - have you got all the bikes on the same switch setting.

My understanding was the 2018 is mechanically the same - just bash plate and stickers but not ridden.

Have you compared your 2017 to others and or a 2016/2015.

The 2017 and 2018 parts manuals aren't showing any difference in parts numbers for top end components. And both years' TB/ECUs are shown with P.N.16400-NN4-M11 for the ED/2ED street versions and P.N. 16400-NN4-L31 for the 3ED/4ED racing versions.

Maybe comparing a -M11 to a -L31 TB/ECU? Have you pulled the fenders to see the TB/ECU part numbers?

@ jimmyl: Our "Mainland Europe"" Models dont have the map switch, we must pinout the white and green cabel for full power (because they must be streetlegal when sold). We compared it to a 2015 Model last year and we found that the 2017 is a little bit better on the throttel response, but nothing seriously.

@ sportsawyer: Thanks for the Info! yes we pulled the fenders down and I think this was exactly the same but I will check this week. BTW Do you have a Parts Manual for the 2017 Modell, I only got the old one (2014). Do you have a link to this or can you mail it to me?

Thanks

hardy

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎19 at 5:14 PM, hc-hardy said:

@ jimmyl: Our "Mainland Europe"" Models dont have the map switch, we must pinout the white and green cabel for full power (because they must be streetlegal when sold). We compared it to a 2015 Model last year and we found that the 2017 is a little bit better on the throttel response, but nothing seriously.

@ sportsawyer: Thanks for the Info! yes we pulled the fenders down and I think this was exactly the same but I will check this week. BTW Do you have a Parts Manual for the 2017 Modell, I only got the old one (2014). Do you have a link to this or can you mail it to me?

Thanks

hardy

Is it only on bikes that dont have the map switch  that you have to pinout the white/green cable? I have 300RR with map switch but dont feel any diffrent between 1or 2 mode. Which is full power mode?

Warn

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎19 at 7:04 PM, hc-hardy said:

Thank you for your help, awesome!

Edited by warn

Circut "open" is (big button down, this is a standard killswitch from an other motorbike) full power map, small button down, circut closed rain map..... you yust have to look at the electric-plan at the end of your manual, there you see everything....

4 hours ago, hc-hardy said:

This is my ECU ...

The P.N. is 16400-NN4-M11, so that's the standard TB/ECU for ED/2ED street versions. It has a Mode 2 map (green/white wire connected to green ground wire) that's used when the O2 sensor, catalytic converter, and intake / exhaust restrictions are on the bike. Its Mode 1 map (green/white wire NOT connected to green ground wire) is used when the catalytic converter and O2 sensor headpipe is replaced with "race" headpipe and the intake / exhaust restrictions are removed. Map switches are not normally used with this TB/ECU. The wiring is changed (green/white removed from 4-pin connector) to put the TB/ECU in the "full power" map when all the street version (ED/2ED) restriction is removed. Here's a link to Full Power Version 2017 instructions. Look at pages 4 & 5, they show pulling the green/white (map selection) wire from the 4-pin connector to use the "full power" map on the 16400-NN4-M11 TB/ECU.

If you can get your friend with the 2018 bike to pull the fender, you can see if it has the 16400-NN4-L31 TB/ECU. That's a two-map "race" TB/ECU that comes on 3ED/4ED racing version bikes, and it has dry and wet terrain maps (see your Owners Manual, page 1-9). I suspect the 2018 bike is a racing version 3ED/4ED, and the difference in feel is the 16400-NN4-L31 TB/ECU. The 16400-NN4-L31 TB/ECU should be available from Honda OEM parts suppliers like KFM.

Edited by sportsawyer
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, hc-hardy said:

Circut "open" is (big button down, this is a standard killswitch from an other motorbike) full power map, small button down, circut closed rain map..... you yust have to look at the electric-plan at the end of your manual, there you see everything....

I think I did read the manual to confirm maps but I always forget so BIG SWITCH - BIG POWER works for me :D

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

sportsawyer -you are the Guru for HRC and Honda part numbers and specification - its much appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks, but I'm hardly a guru. I'm just another rider who likes 4RTs and is always trying to learn more about them. I still have a lot to learn.

• Like 1