Aussie new to Trials and this forum

Bevelferal

Hi newby to trials and have just purchased a 97 Beta Techno Dougie Lampkin. Been riding road and trail bikes for a while now and wanted to refine my enduro balancing skill set. Im not a 2 smoke expert so this will be challenging adaptation to different power delivery etc. Looking forward to this and have a million questions to ask from suspension setting for a 83kg guy to what is the prefered oil fuel mix, gear oil, chain and sprocket combo, or do i just shut up and ride it....thanks if you have read this far.. toodle pip.

20180319_211539.jpg

Welcome to the best forums around Bevelferal. There are quite a few of us Aussies on here and quite a lot of us Queenslanders as well. Just ask any questions you feel you need to ask as someone will have an answer for you. Cheers Graham.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jrsunt said:

That 97 techno looks like it is either; a 97 dressed as a 99 or it is a 99. Either way it's clean.

75ml synthetic 2 stroke oil to 5l petrol

500ml 75wt gear oil 

Thanks mate for that info, now you've got me thinking. It has a stamped frame or id number up on the steering tube and ive gone thru heaps of info in forums about this but still cant work it out. Ive attached a pic let me know if it can be deciphered. Cheers JK.

IMG_0724.jpg

5 hours ago, oni nou said:

That's definitely a 1999 Beta techno .... there are way to many differences between that bike and a 1997 model to make it worth a persons time and money to change all the things that are different ...it would be cheaper to just sell a 97 and then buy a 99 model.

A 97 has an radiator expansion tank  under a plastic cowling on top of the frame rails,.also the airbox seat rails are different alongside many other things.......Be aware that  the stator on your bike is specific to that year, you cannot swap it with the older models as the casing is completely different[a 98 system may fit]; as is the crank shaft.

If you google images of a 1997[ that has mainly metallic purple plastics and the forks are anodised red with gold stanchions] and a 1999 and study them carefully you will see all the differences ......your 1999 should have a PAIOLI rear shock that was only fitted to the 1999 and not a Sachs as was fitted to all previous year Techno's.

Standard gearing is 43 on the rear and 11 gearbox but its whatever you like from what is still available from TALON or AFAM etc.

Thanks so much for all that information oni nou , the bike is in transit, so great its a 99 for sure going by your facts, I think the seller had it posted with wrong year , i should have picked this up in my own research for parts(rookie error), my bad. Looking forward to riding it, and conversing with this forum which is so switched on and has a wealth of knowledge.

Cheers JK.