Gas gas 03 280 txt pro suspension

Deezmx

I am new to trials seen. I have a Enduro and motocross background .  Trying to get my suspension set up and I have ran across some questions . My bike seems to have 38mm forks.  I am kinda a fat kid and I need to upgrade my springs. But I can't seem to find anything for my bike.  Can I update my triple trees and forks to 40mm. Thank you Mark

Edited by Deezmx

Without appearing to be weightistish.....why not consider putting your body on a performance regime and tune that up, before spending out on parts that may not work any better;) because you may still be carrying too many ounces!?Wish I could trim down a bit, it’s very easy to talk about getting fit, it’s another actually doing it. Once you are riding trials you may find that gives you the ‘kick start’ needed! 

Well dam didn't think I was going to get a mom speech.  I did say a I was a beach ball with legs. I was just saying I am not a the target size of 185 lbs. That every bike known to man is sprung for . And there doesn't seem to be any heavier springs for my current forks but seems that there is for 39 and 40 mm forks. That's why I asked 

3 hours ago, Deezmx said:

Well dam didn't think I was going to get a mom speech.  I did say a I was a beach ball with legs. I was just saying I am not a the target size of 185 lbs. That every bike known to man is sprung for . And there doesn't seem to be any heavier springs for my current forks but seems that there is for 39 and 40 mm forks. That's why I asked 

Yes?you did say ‘fat kid’ ?What if the rider was 150lb they’d be wanting softer springs, so the manufacturer goes for the middle ground. There you go son now you’re telling us “ I did say a I was a beach ball with legs”. Your words.

How about a spacer on top of the fork spring in each leg, you will need to experiment but start with 25 mm and maybe slightly thicker oil. As for the rear suspension unit, that depends on the make but a stronger spring will help. You might be able to swap the spring from one maker as they all close in size. Just a suggestion, spacers you can make or buy from good suppliers. Think you’ll find some useful info on this site. Alternatively approach a spring manufacturer, a pair of springs will not cost too much in the grand scheme of things. 

Edited by section swept

` I am new to trials seen. I have a Enduro and motocross background .` Try riding it first. A soft suspension is actually preferred in trials. Once you learn to be a trials rider, a newer bike would go much farther than throwing parts at it. I am am not saying spend much money. Ride this one for six months, if you like it upgrade for about a thousand bucks difference. 

If they are 38mm Paoili then Heavy Duty springs are available easily. (but Gas Gas only used these forks for a short time), if they are 38mm Gas Gas forks it's a bit harder.

You can definitely put 40mm triple trees and forks on. The headstem length / bearing combo is the same from the first Pro in 2002 right to present.

Edited by arnoux

As a fellow "fat kid" (well north of 200 Lbs) I also have a 2003 GasGas, the forks are original in springs spacers etc.  I run 5 wt. fork oil.  and they seem to perform just fine.

My forks are the 38mm GasGas produced forks, no manufacturer markings just a part number cast into the lower fork tube.

I suggest riding it as is for a while to see if you will need stiffer springs and then decide from there.

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/22/2018 at 8:39 AM, zippy said:

As a fellow "fat kid" (well north of 200 Lbs) I also have a 2003 GasGas, the forks are original in springs spacers etc.  I run 5 wt. fork oil.  and they seem to perform just fine.

My forks are the 38mm GasGas produced forks, no manufacturer markings just a part number cast into the lower fork tube.

I suggest riding it as is for a while to see if you will need stiffer springs and then decide from there.

What quantity of oil do you put in each leg, struggling to find much info on these

19 hours ago, SimonRoberts said:

What quantity of oil do you put in each leg, struggling to find much info on these

There are many similarities between the 2003 and 2004 Pro.  I think, I may not be 100% accurate, that the 2004 has the same 38mm GasGas produced forks.

the 2004 user manual states 310cc each leg.

The Hell Team have a nice resource here: https://www.thehellteam.com/technical-support/gas-gas-parts-and-service-manuals.html