Do I keep it or sell it?

section swept

Bought myself a project Trials bike to keep me off the streets. This will be my third and I’m not sure whether to keep it or sell it as the price of older bikes is increasing. Not that I want to profiteer or anything but if the value keeps going up I would hate to ‘get it dirty’ so to speak. There must be quite a few people here that like to rebuild, restore their favourite competition bikes. Just like when you ride trials or whatever your sport is, the rebuilder, restorer is  out in all weathers, ....in the shed, damp and cold huddled round a heater, pondering ? a miriad of problems, chrome or powder coat, paint as original. Should I mod it any, leave the footrests where the manufacturer put them, shall I slice the frame and get some steeper steering or should I just fit longer rear dampers? That’s an hour gone by and not even done the washing up or hoovering as instructed by the one that must be obeyed....ooh er! ?

NB Please feel free to continue and add content as you see fit, it’ll be interesting to see others take on their project bike and in general with the rise in value of older bikes that could be bought for literal pennies not too far back in time.?

• Like 1

Whatever floats your boat - basic rider, museum piece, dunger, tricked-up competition special, time capsule. One person's dream bike can be another person's nightmare

For me the whole thing is a passion and cost/return in dollar terms is totally irrelevant. I just do whatever I feel like doing and get huge enjoyment from the process

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, section swept said:

"in the shed, damp and cold huddled round a heater",

But that's almost unimaginable luxury...............

Feeling bored when we had a few days of snow recently, I thought some time in the shed was in order.....until I actually tried it !

Highest temp. in my shed on 4 consecutive days was  -2deg. C. (I don't have heating for fear of the fire risk)

Hoovering, etc. looked positively inviting !!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Feeling bored when we had a few days of snow recently, I thought some time in the shed was in order.....until I actually tried it !

Highest temp. in my shed on 4 consecutive days was  -2deg. C. (I don't have heating for fear of the fire risk)

The only weather limitations I have is that sometimes in summer it can be too humid to spray paint. Summer is workshop season here because it is usually too hot to ride except for a brief period in the evening before it gets too dark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I make sure I do at least one thing in the workshop, however small every single day. That way the build tends to move along, even if its slow.

Currently building a Bultaco T 250 from the late 70's, and even in the very cold conditions I have managed to get the old wheels bearings out, clean up the brakes, wheels & hubs, and get new bearings and seals fitted. The front wheel is now in :)

I too worry about fire in the shop, I have built a small spray booth in the corner and I use thinners for washing stuff down, degreasing etc. So I bought a 3kw electric space heater, which doesn't "Glow" red. I still switch it off when handling anything flammable or painting.

The old bike prices appear to be a lot higher than they really are, particularly if you're using ebay as a guide. Sure the prices will steadily rise as they become rarer. But ebay prices are purposely kept high by the dealers. There was a Montesa Cota from the early 1970's advertised on there for nearly two years at at least double its real value by a dealer. Other dealers then follow suit and the general buying public consider this inflated value the real value. But if you look at the public auction only ads, they don't get bid up to anywhere near the fixed prices.

I paid, fairly recently, £650 for this Bultaco, its 100% complete and has hardly seen any use in its life and I bid along with others up to this price. Dealers and some people who use ebay as their price guide would advertise it for far more, but just because they are advertised at this doesn't mean they are selling them, I keep a close eye on this and many of these bikes are on ebay for months and months and don't sell from that platform.

I don't like selling them on either, I have 7 bikes in the shop now and another project in waiting, but frankly you have to part with them, usually for the money to buy the next machine or needing the space. I'm intending to ride my two twinshock bikes this year, so these, for the moment, are keepers :)

• Thanks 1

Just thinking the same.

Picked this original 1979 325 Sherpa up this week. One owner from new, never trialled, bash plate and cases unmarked.

The engine sounds superb, just needs a bit of TLC. Done 1150 miles.

All original.

Was going to coat it in duck oil and sheet-it up for this winter project.

D7C554AE-F100-41A7-8DAD-F43892377FA5.jpeg

143C6B67-83BF-462A-8F2D-8191194DBB89.jpeg

007BE5F7-49FD-4B92-B89E-1535B6197E60.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On the subject of restoring old bikes, I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago.

I was doing up an 80's trials bike, and decided to lower the footrests and sharpen the steering head. 

Initially, I was going to do it myself, but then thought I'd get it done by one of the various guys who have websites advertising pre-65 & twinshock type stuff.

I emailed one of them for a quote .......£800 ......yes, eight hundred pounds !!    An expensive bit of welding don't you think !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, yamanx said:

I make sure I do at least one thing in the workshop, however small every single day. That way the build tends to move along, even if its slow.

Currently building a Bultaco T 250 from the late 70's, and even in the very cold conditions I have managed to get the old wheels bearings out, clean up the brakes, wheels & hubs, and get new bearings and seals fitted. The front wheel is now in :)

I too worry about fire in the shop, I have built a small spray booth in the corner and I use thinners for washing stuff down, degreasing etc. So I bought a 3kw electric space heater, which doesn't "Glow" red. I still switch it off when handling anything flammable or painting.

The old bike prices appear to be a lot higher than they really are, particularly if you're using ebay as a guide. Sure the prices will steadily rise as they become rarer. But ebay prices are purposely kept high by the dealers. There was a Montesa Cota from the early 1970's advertised on there for nearly two years at at least double its real value by a dealer. Other dealers then follow suit and the general buying public consider this inflated value the real value. But if you look at the public auction only ads, they don't get bid up to anywhere near the fixed prices.

I paid, fairly recently, £650 for this Bultaco, its 100% complete and has hardly seen any use in its life and I bid along with others up to this price. Dealers and some people who use ebay as their price guide would advertise it for far more, but just because they are advertised at this doesn't mean they are selling them, I keep a close eye on this and many of these bikes are on ebay for months and months and don't sell from that platform.

I don't like selling them on either, I have 7 bikes in the shop now and another project in waiting, but frankly you have to part with them, usually for the money to buy the next machine or needing the space. I'm intending to ride my two twinshock bikes this year, so these, for the moment, are keepers :)

Well said,prices don't really get up there unless the bikes are fully restored or mint low hrs ,older trials bikes in my country are just old trials bikes,most in my country consider the older European trials bikes as needing lots of work and the parts are near impossible to find.

However due to the growing twinshock craze vmx and enduro bikes are very sort after if pre -1979,otherwise value is some what low,my mate restores Yamaha 500 XT and TT's he usually buys rough bikes for around 3000NZD spends that again or more and sells them easily for 15000NZD,he has amassed a large spares collection for these bikes and he admits he really enjoys building them but no longer rides one for himself.

He won many open class titles on TT's that he race built,he talked me into getting another bike and I have really enjoyed fixing my Monty up and riding it still gives me a buzz like the "olden days":D:D ,if I sell it I wouldn't expect to make much on it but that's not what its all about for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Whatever floats your boat - basic rider, museum piece, dunger, tricked-up competition special, time capsule. One person's dream bike can be another person's nightmare

For me the whole thing is a passion and cost/return in dollar terms is totally irrelevant. I just do whatever I feel like doing and get huge enjoyment from the process

????agree totally?

10 hours ago, lorenzo said:

And...and you can think of ways to make the hoover better..handle type, wheel mods and vacuum power increase etc?

9 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The only weather limitations I have is that sometimes in summer it can be too humid to spray paint. Summer is workshop season here because it is usually too hot to ride except for a brief period in the evening before it gets too dark

Oh bugger it I’ll wear me shorts and a t’ shirt, my next door neighbour wears shorts even at below minus 5 degrees C.

9 hours ago, yamanx said:

Glad there are others out there ‘in the real world’ that realise the truth behind some of the high prices of rusry remnants. You are made of stronger stuff than me, one look out of the bedroom window decides it for me. Snuggle up under the duvet or numb fingers and toes, no contest.

5 hours ago, chappo said:

Just thinking the same.

Picked this original 1979 325 Sherpa up this week. One owner from new, never trialled, bash plate and cases unmarked.

The engine sounds superb, just needs a bit of TLC. Done 1150 miles.

All original.

Was going to coat it in duck oil and sheet-it up for this winter project.

007BE5F7-49FD-4B92-B89E-1535B6197E60.thumb.jpeg.b2cdfcffbb0a7861cc1c0bce240c51d3.jpeg.e255bafa164345de1e516d4df8cb7c34.jpegD7C554AE-F100-41A7-8DAD-F43892377FA5.jpeg

143C6B67-83BF-462A-8F2D-8191194DBB89.jpeg

007BE5F7-49FD-4B92-B89E-1535B6197E60.jpeg

You lucky trialster you!!! Why can’t I find a few like that, I think the trade describe it as an easy restoration!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonyp said:

On the subject of restoring old bikes, I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago.

I was doing up an 80's trials bike, and decided to lower the footrests and sharpen the steering head. 

Initially, I was going to do it myself, but then thought I'd get it done by one of the various guys who have websites advertising pre-65 & twinshock type stuff.

I emailed one of them for a quote .......£800 ......yes, eight hundred pounds !!    An expensive bit of welding don't you think !

Try getting an affordable quote for chrome plating a frame! £2000 for a Trials bike minimalist frame!!!

1 hour ago, potto said:

Well said,prices don't really get up there unless the bikes are fully restored or mint low hrs ,older trials bikes in my country are just old trials bikes,most in my country consider the older European trials bikes as needing lots of work and the parts are near impossible to find.

However due to the growing twinshock craze vmx and enduro bikes are very sort after if pre -1979,otherwise value is some what low,my mate restores Yamaha 500 XT and TT's he usually buys rough bikes for around 3000NZD spends that again or more and sells them easily for 15000NZD,he has amassed a large spares collection for these bikes and he admits he really enjoys building them but no longer rides one for himself.

He won many open class titles on TT's that he race built,he talked me into getting another bike and I have really enjoyed fixing my Monty up and riding it still gives me a buzz like the "olden days":D:D ,if I sell it I wouldn't expect to make much on it but that's not what its all about for me.

Doing it for the fun of it! ??