YAMAHA have a new TY

johnnyboxer

3 hours ago, cackallacky said:

I applaud Yamaha for entering the E Trials market.  However, I think they may (and should) re-think the single speed tranny. It won't compete with the GG 6 speed tranny E Trials bike. GG is making a concerted effort to make an E Trials bike which is a closer experience to a combustion engine bike with a tranny. E Motion bikes will go by the wayside (IMO) if they don't get on the "tranny train".

We are all creatures of habit. Can't go too extreme before big change is accepted.

And a tranny totally makes sense in Trials. Again, IMO.

Electric motors develop their maximum torque or pulling power from 0 revs and from then on its go go all the way to the maximum designed rev limit. Yamaha have chosen to employ a mechanical style clutch to provide the rider with some feel. Agree a gearbox is an ideal if you want top speed, but at this stage of development (and electric motors are not new - even contact less and virtually moving parts free) when trials just need ummph from low down and whoosh for those impossible bits, a gearbox is a bit superfluous....electric motor wise! Highish gear for road work between sections useful. Gearbox just adds more weight. Give it time when everyone’s had a good go on a few different types of electric powered permutations and petrol power will most likely be consigned to the back burner. When you think what some riders can do with a lightweight petrol powered bike, the possiblities might be incredible.......Diesel anyone?

I was chatting with someone at the weekend who has an EM. Two criticisms appeared.

1. Lack of a gearbox. Running at "high" speed takes a lot of battery power. He thought a second higher gear for link sections would improve battery life.

2. Lack of torque control. The throttle on a petrol bike controls torque. The "throttle" on an e-bike controls speed. So if you ask for more speed than you currently have (via the twistgrip) the motor will provide full torque in order to get up to that speed. Obviously that's not what may be required of a trials bike.

Interesting clips of what they are doing with some old 315's...one of the things that comes to mind watching those is what people could do when its hard to source pistons and rings for that model machine Thanks for posting those:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 9:31 AM, section swept said:

Electric motors develop their maximum torque or pulling power from 0 revs and from then on its go go all the way to the maximum designed rev limit. Yamaha have chosen to employ a mechanical style clutch to provide the rider with some feel. Agree a gearbox is an ideal if you want top speed, but at this stage of development (and electric motors are not new - even contact less and virtually moving parts free) when trials just need ummph from low down and whoosh for those impossible bits, a gearbox is a bit superfluous....electric motor wise! Highish gear for road work between sections useful. Gearbox just adds more weight. Give it time when everyone’s had a good go on a few different types of electric powered permutations and petrol power will most likely be consigned to the back burner. When you think what some riders can do with a lightweight petrol powered bike, the possiblities might be incredible.......Diesel anyone?

On 3/26/2018 at 11:56 PM, trapezeartist said:

I was chatting with someone at the weekend who has an EM. Two criticisms appeared.

1. Lack of a gearbox. Running at "high" speed takes a lot of battery power. He thought a second higher gear for link sections would improve battery life.

2. Lack of torque control. The throttle on a petrol bike controls torque. The "throttle" on an e-bike controls speed. So if you ask for more speed than you currently have (via the twistgrip) the motor will provide full torque in order to get up to that speed. Obviously that's not what may be required of a trials bike.

Anybody got any thoughts on flywheel effect; I assume there is a lack of? I was watching a youth rider on a full/near full size electric bike on a damp incline that gave no grip problems to monos and twinshocks of varied makes and age and while the IC engined bikes could roll off and back on the throttle to find grip the electric bike just span the rear wheel when power was applied and seemed to come to a dead stop when power was cut off. When power was reapplied again the wheel just span.

I've ridden an EM 5.7 and found it did have flywheel effect.

On any bike the smooth application of power has a lot to do with the mind-body connection of the rider. I have found that any bike (including the EM 5.7) feels right and works well once I have tuned myself to the way it responds.

• Like 1