Gear oil what flavour do i use?

Bevelferal

Hi all recently aquired a 99 Beta Techno 250 (warning newby post), just getting all the info together on replacing fluids and the owners manual said 20w/30 in the gear box, Ive been told 75wt 500ml so cut to the chase what do I use, brands recommend weights etc, Im in Australia so it might be called something different here like Koala oil or snake lube but oils is oils. Any info would be great. Thanks JK.

Screenshot_20180323-182557.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bevelferal said:

Hi all recently aquired a 99 Beta Techno 250 (warning newby post), just getting all the info together on replacing fluids and the owners manual said 20w/30 in the gear box, Ive been told 75wt 500ml so cut to the chase what do I use, brands recommend weights etc, Im in Australia so it might be called something different here like Koala oil or snake lube but oils is oils. Any info would be great. Thanks JK.

Screenshot_20180323-182557.png

I’m liking the crash ears-helmet?? Gearbox oil= 75wt and 450cc check level carefully and perhaps change the oil more frequently than suggested in the manual. As for make Wallangoola Nectar Lube...no seriously any good quality make, everyone has their favourite flavour. You may find some people will say use 500cc but that would be if the box was completely dry or after rebuild etc.?

Edited by section swept
Spelling
  • Like 1

To add to the theme, i use Mohican Chief Oil ATF Dexron III which has viscosity specifications at 40°C and 100°C and a Viscosity Index almost identical to very popular and well known trials transmision brands but pay AUD $30 for 4litres from Supercheap versus the same cost for 1litre for a trials specific gear oil. Makes doing regular changes very economical. And no, despite what you may be thinking on the theme name, Mohican Chief oil is not North American but is from the Netherlands. Almost opposite Downunder.

• Like 1