TY 250 forks

trialsrfun

I've recently fitted those damper rods to some TY250 34mm forks. The forks have the standard springs and are fitted to a lengthened TY175. So far I have only tried Dexron ATF with a 125mm dip. I have ridden dry and wet rocks and banks in practice and at one trial. The compression damping and rebound damping are both stronger and I found the overall effect to be very agreeable. The front end seems less busy overall and is much plusher on big landings. The previous setup on this bike was standard TY250 34mm forks with 10WT fork oil and 125mm dip.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I've recently fitted those damper rods to some TY250 34mm forks. The forks have the standard springs and are fitted to a lengthened TY175. So far I have only tried Dexron ATF with a 125mm dip. I have ridden dry and wet rocks and banks in practice and at one trial. The compression damping and rebound damping are both stronger and I found the overall effect to be very agreeable. The front end seems less busy overall and is much plusher on big landings. The previous setup on this bike was standard TY250 34mm forks with 10WT fork oil and 125mm dip.

Thanks for the feedback feetupfun, the TY 250 forks are for the TY 175 project that I am helping a friend build. When you say a lengthened TY 175 I take it you mean extended swing arm, we are thinking of geetting the shedworks fork ends to do this mod.

As yet we are undecided what to do with the steering head angle is it better to leave alone or steepen what are your thoughts please.

35 minutes ago, trialsrfun said:

Thanks for the feedback feetupfun, the TY 250 forks are for the TY 175 project that I am helping a friend build. When you say a lengthened TY 175 I take it you mean extended swing arm, we are thinking of geetting the shedworks fork ends to do this mod.

As yet we are undecided what to do with the steering head angle is it better to leave alone or steepen what are your thoughts please.

Steering head angle is a personal thing and my favourite head angle for use with a Yamaha twinshock front end is that of a standard TY250 twinshock, which is slightly steeper than a standard TY175.

When I extended the frame and the swingarm of that TY175, I made the head angle on the TY175 the same angle as a standard TY250 twinshock. The steering head was moved forwards 25mm and the swingarm was extended 45mm. It ended up with the same wheelbase as a TY250 twinshock. I remember giving a template for the axle plate extensions to someone in the UK soon after I put photos up on the forums at the time, but I don't remember who it was.

An Aussie friend was modifying his TY175 at about the same time as I was doing mine and he didn't want to go to the trouble of modifying the main frame cradle, but did want to steepen the steering head angle slightly and lengthen the swingarm. He made his new axle plates with the axle slot lower (his axle slots were 35mm further back and 5mm lower than standard). His bike also handles very nicely.

1 hour ago, feetupfun said:

When I extended the frame and the swingarm of that TY175, I made the head angle on the TY175 the same angle as a standard TY250 twinshock. The steering head was moved forwards 25mm and the swingarm was extended 45mm. 

Is that 25mm into the top tube but maintaining the same position where the down tubes meet the headstock. There is a lot of metal around that part of the frame in the toolbox area especially, where do you make the cuts? Thank you for your really helpful advice.

9 hours ago, trialsrfun said:

Is that 25mm into the top tube but maintaining the same position where the down tubes meet the headstock. There is a lot of metal around that part of the frame in the toolbox area especially, where do you make the cuts? Thank you for your really helpful advice.

25mm in top tube. Front downtubes cut part-way through, bent then rewelded near front engine mountings. The only change near the headstock is relocating the front tank mounts.

• Thanks 1

On 25/03/2018 at 7:02 AM, feetupfun said:

How would you rate them in comparison to the set with the emulators in David?

I'm looking at fitting both the damper rods & springs into mine once Steve gives me a shipping price to New Zealand 

1 hour ago, tony27 said:

How would you rate them in comparison to the set with the emulators in David?

I'm looking at fitting both the damper rods & springs into mine once Steve gives me a shipping price to New Zealand 

I want to try these fork legs in the Godden Majesty (and the emulator forks in the TY175) so I can directly compare the fancy damper rods with the emulators but haven't done it yet. The two bikes are quite different in weight and weight distribution so it wouldn't be a direct comparison unless I swap the forks over

That makes sense & would be the only true comparison 

When I get back in the country I will be stripping my forks to have bushes fitted to remove the play in them. Will be the perfect time to do damper rods & springs. I've been running a 17mm aluminium axle threaded into the base like modern forks for a while & I expect the springs & damper rods would make them as good as they can be without trying to stuff modern forks inside them