Wheel rebuild

french

Good evening all thought I would ask this in the classic section as many of you would have had need for this..I have a gas gas pampera & would like my rear wheel rebuilt..any suggestion for a man that knows his stuff?.. Ideally in the south east save posting etc..thanks in advance

If you just want to have new spokes and nipples then it is relatively easy if you change one at a time. Ensure the rim is good to go before starting work and take a photo of the wheel installed to get an idea of any rim offset, measure this to. Give every spoke a quick rub with a wire brush on the nipple threads and then soak with penetrating fluid. ONLY remove one spoke at a time. Some spokes may be really awkward to remove or fit due to flange height etc. Try to remove at least a couple from each side complete so that you have true spoke dimensions for replacements and could be spares. The rest if really seized can be cut but only one at a time! Tune test each spoke when tightening to the same tension as the best of the old spokes by gently tapping the spoke on the centre, I’m assuming the wheel hasn’t collapsed or is badly damaged. After a while (and many cups of tea) you should have a half presentable wheel. Check that the offset is still the same refer to photo and measurement. Fit the wheel back into the frame and tighten the wheel spindle just above hand tight, spin the wheel, don’t bother with any brake parts at this stage. Eye ball the rim for ant buckling and check for concentricity. Now grind off any spoke thread protruding through the nipple, a Dremmel is ideal for this. I smear a little silicon sealant over the finished nipple to help stop water getting in. This is the hard bit, adjusting the spokes to eliminate buckling and the other thing which will need some sort of pointer/register to compare. The other hard part is whizzing down the road on your new spoked wheel!??? If anyone feels that I have left something out then please add. But you can’t beat a professional wheel builder for the best results.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies the hub & rim are in good shape although I was considering replacing the rim as that should  ensure I only end up doing it once.. sounds like I may try a rebuild myself need to source some spokes & nipples .. could probably do with a front at some stage the rim is pretty knocked about... Many thanks fellas