2007 TXT Pro - Squeaking Noise

miner

As above.... moved house at the weekend so had the fun part of riding the bikes from villa to villa, GG as sat for couple of weeks after it was last used and fired up ok (as well as GG do!) after a couple of kicks... when it started running it was making squeaking noises however.  Engine appeared to be running fine, no issues.... a bit concerned about the noise though.  Seemed to be coming from low down, maybe the water pump?  Cleared after a few minutes... will kick it over and try and get a video to check myself again.  Last time it was out I pressure washed it (exhaust bung in) and run it afterwards till the float bowl was empty.

Common issue?  Or something sinister?

Edited by miner
Title Change

Not had the clutch cover off since I bought it.... only things I can think of are:

- Air boot came off carb not long after I got it... sucked in a lot of dust which I saw on the plug. After a clean up it’s run fine since. Over 1yr.

- Been using 60:1 premix instead of 50:1 last few rides.... just been using leftover fuel from mixing up for the 300 KTM  

Bike is currently and engine and a frame just now anyway.... can see it in bits this weekend. 

10 hours ago, lineaway said:

It happened right when it was shut down. It could be alot of things. Rings, bad main bearing. I suggested starting with the clutch due to the noise before the squeak. (And you have to do this in steps)

Serves me right for not watching the final 0.8 seconds ;)

Well I think I’ve found it and short of pulling the clutch cover off to discount that hypothesis I’m a bit worried now about the big ends....

Tried some oil directly into the plug hole and intake to the crank bearing.... definitely still there and coincides with top and bottom parts of the stroke. 

Barrel looks ok... crown fairly black, deffo rich, plug black/fouled,  rings - blowbye on the first ring, second ring ok. 

What’s the recommendations now?

Can you replace the main bearings and the rings? Or is this now a full top and bottom end job?

Just bought a Lectron for my 300 EXC and a couple of hundred in parts for all the KTMs (inc Mrs bike)... if this gets expensive she could become stabby! Help!??

Squeaking at the same crank position and sounds like hard rubbing metal to metal,

Have you got the spark plug out so you can rule out any compression force an just be spinning the crankshaft? and take force off the big end bearing see if the sound changes position or tone.

Some rust on the crank flanges and could be rubbing on the crank cases though I cant see any rubbing marks on the crank..

Main bearings are lubed by the gear oil so if you have changed oil regularly I would lean towards the con rod bearings. But unfortunately I think this is going to be a full strip down. 

You said the air filter could have let in dust/debris, this would get into the crankcase and big/little end bearings. A clump of grit tightly lodged in somewhere could make this type of noise.

Hopefully this could help direct you to the cause.

• Like 1