2007 TXT Pro - Squeaking Noise

miner

2 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

back to the start you pressure washed it THEN started it till bowl was dry?

Yes - why?

Till the revs started to rise then killed it.  Hot enough outside to dry the rest (30++).

Edited by miner
Clarification

On 07/05/2018 at 9:50 AM, nigel dabster said:

2 things never start a bike after pressure washing

never run a bike particularily a 2 t till fuel runs out

What's the issue with starting after pressure washing? Wet filter?

Not killed a bike yet....

The gasket is pretty useless the cover is too flexible to seal between the bolts. I have not got one on mine and its not been a problem.

All the Gassers I have bought all had a 3mm hole at the bottom of the cover, Don't know if this is a mod people do or manufactured with one.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

oh dear, wheres forest gump when you need him.

Answer the point or butt out... not killed a dirt bike in 10yrs but my experience is more with closed airbox road bikes so I may have missed something.... please enlighten me and Forrest will give you one of his chocolates....

On 13/05/2018 at 9:52 AM, miner said:

What's the issue with starting after pressure washing? Wet filter?

Not killed a bike yet....

ok. In plain english (not american) you cannot be sure where water has got in when you pressure wash. It could get in several places where you dont want it, air filter for example where water borne dirt could enter the engine when started. Water in the electrics around head stock or in the ignition side and so on. Its bad practice and most who know anything about trials mechanics wouldnt choose to do. maybe youve been lucky but i wouldnt spend 6k on a bike and take a chance for an hour of fettling.

Im off now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

ok. In plain english (not american) you cannot be sure where water has got in when you pressure wash. It could get in several places where you dont want it, air filter for example where water borne dirt could enter the engine when started. Water in the electrics around head stock or in the ignition side and so on. Its bad practice and most who know anything about trials mechanics wouldnt choose to do. maybe youve been lucky but i wouldnt spend 6k on a bike and take a chance for an hour of fettling.

Im off now.

Genuinely thanks for that... I was annoyed more at not getting a straight answer.... once or twice, bit of forum banter, etc... no issues, copped and dished plenty of it out... but one step beyond in the end. It I wanted trolled I'd have posted on The Rev Counter... expected better from a house elf :D

Was a little concerned I'd missed something major and was at risk of taking good care of the rest of it but finished it off but chucking a grenade in at the end.  Agree with your points, all makes sense... mostly experienced with Enduro/Road bikes and careful with the pressure washer... not much to cover up the innards of the trials bike though.  

Not so sure about the american chat though.... I've got some of my best Jockanese in response to that! :D

Anyway.... puller came in the post from GG UK eventually yesterday.... flywheel certainly came off with a pop and when the ball bearing dropped so did my a*** a little... woodruff key still there, as you were! :D

Cleaned it all up, including getting all the crud off the flywheel with some 400 grit paper, squeaking noise gone... noticed a few odd things regarding the ignition which I've posted on the ongoing ignition thread.  Need a new gasket, just boxed it up for now.

Only the carb and linkage to clean up and it's ready for reassembly, including new exhaust joints.  Only set out to change the chain slider.... bike currently in bits. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Im off now.

Rubbish. Jet wash carefully avoiding bearings and electrics. Airbox and exhaust blocked. START bike after washing to ensure it doesnt condensate in the engine. 30 years tried and tested.

• Like 1