Best trials bike for 2018?

beta evo andy

Hi just wondering what new bikes people reccomend the most, I currently have a 2017 gas gas 280 but looking to get something new towards the end of the year but no idea What, I would get a new gas gas 300 but a mate of mine has just bought one and is having problems with it bogging out etc, I like the look of trs but have another mate with one that the throttle got stuck on and it went bang and he's had lots of trouble getting parts for it, I don't really like the look of vertigo and think there way overpriced. What's people's opinions? I'm a white route rider and I ride most if not all weekends, I've ridden beta and gas gas myself, I much prefer the feel of my gas gas but it's not nearly as reliable as my beta was.

If reliably is key then I would recommend Beta or Montesa as I (and my friends) have had the best luck with them.  

I do enjoy how light my wife's Gas Gas feels  but I just enjoy the overall package of my Montesa more.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jonnyc21 said:

If reliably is key then I would recommend Beta or Montesa as I (and my friends) have had the best luck with them.  

I do enjoy how light my wife's Gas Gas feels  but I just enjoy the overall package of my Montesa more.  

I love how you always come back to how much you like your wife's GG125!   I think you should sell the 4RT and get a 125 of any brand!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nhuskys said:

I love how you always come back to how much you like your wife's GG125!   I think you should sell the 4RT and get a 125 of any brand!

Fun and lightweight don't make a keeper, just fun to play on from time to time...

• Like 1

I swapped from 4RT (after 11 years) to Vertigo last year. Very happy with my decision. I agree the current colour scheme is a bit LOUD . But when its covered in sheet it looks just fine. No need for parts yet but accessories arrived overnight. eFi will be standard on all trials bikes soon, its just better.  Ring Nick at Vertigo and go to a test day they're always running them.

For me the best bike for 2018 is my current 2003 GasGas 300 Pro.  The Old BAGG is more capable than I am, and as long as I throw $$ at parts she just keeps trucking along.  (I have had good experience with her being a 15 yr old bike and the abuse I have given her)

Yes, I am whining about not being able to buy a new bike.  :crying:

Personally I would go GasGas, but that is just my opinion.

I tried a 2017 Scorpa 250 and the riding stance just felt "odd" to me

Sticking throttle can happen on any bike,wouldn't put me off a TRS,haven't heard of any other problems,likewise I haven't heard of anyone having bogging problems with an18 Gas gas?Both of these cases sound like more maintenance/set up problems than inherent faults

• Like 1

If the main thing is reliability, I'd suggest a 68 year old rigid 350 AJS. Not touched mine since the Talmag in Jan, filled it up with Aspen and oiled the chain - Rode the Cotswold Cups on Sunday,an all day thrash.Never missed a beat. Going to oil the chain and refill with fuel then ride the March Hare on April 8th.

Thing is I've done a few trials on it since the Arbuthnot last September when I actually gave it a proper service,I spend the whole week with spanners,last thing I want is a bike that needs lots of maintenance.

14 hours ago, theluckyone said:

I swapped from 4RT (after 11 years) to Vertigo last year. Very happy with my decision. I agree the current colour scheme is a bit LOUD . But when its covered in sheet it looks just fine. No need for parts yet but accessories arrived overnight. eFi will be standard on all trials bikes soon, its just better.  Ring Nick at Vertigo and go to a test day they're always running them.

Think you’ll find that a carb allows for finer slow speed running, electronic fuel injection just makes emission test passing easier for the beaurocrats. EFI stops people mucking about with the system. So that’ll be a larger fuel injector, uprated fuel pressure regulator, remapped ecu, quick action throttle potentiometer, and no end of anodised coloured pipes and filter housings to play with?