Hi!

v1nn1e

Got a TTR250 a couple of years back as a first intro to off-road in the form of Trail riding. Then discovered that the Hookwood trials centre was only 4 miles form my house so have started to wonder about having a go.

Aiming to go on a Trials experience day to see what I think.

Cheers

Can't help but take a look around at what bikes are available on ebay, gumtree etc.

I've read a few posts from newbies like myself about whether a 270/290/300 is too much. Seems opinion is split but it feels like most newbies would like to get a 125/200, it's just that there seem to be far fewer of these around than the larger capacities. I know I've struggled to find many, where as it's easy to find a larger cap.

I just wondered if there were any newcomers out there who had ended up with a large capacity and what their actual first hand experience has been? Doing novice sections and novice practice techniques, does capacity make much difference? Did the engine taming techniques help?

Thanks

I bought a Beta 300 4 stroke (which is allegedly a much more gentle power delivery than 2 strokes of similar capacity) and I found it a handful. I very quickly switched to a Fantic 200, only partly due to the friendlier power-unit but mostly because I realised I wanted a twinshock rather than a modern. Based on my vast six months of experience (;)) I would say that anything over 250 is just willy-waving unless you are an expert. Some people think a 125 is too peaky and others think it is fine. Everyone in the know seems to agree that a 200 is ideal for a novice. If I was in your position I would go for a 250 but hope that a 200 might come along while I was looking.

Ah, OK, interesting.

Honestly, I don't think it's w&^%y waving, I believe that a lot of beginners just end up with what's cheap and available and they mostly seem to be the larger capacities. If folks are like me, they will be reluctant to commit too much money when starting out and the only 125/200's I've seen have been either new or nearly new, that and what is close too - may be more choice in Yorkshire, which seems to have some special tax regime for trials as 90% of them seem to come from there! ;)

I'll keep looking - maybe something nearly-new that I can then sell-on more easily if I change my mind is another approach to consider.

Cheers

• Haha 1

Maybe I didn't express myself well enough. I didn't mean to suggest that beginners buy an over-250 as an exercise in willy-waving. On the contrary, they probably are just grabbing what is available and maybe think an extra 30/40/50cc won't make any difference. It's the new-bike buyers who seem to feel a compulsion to buy the big-engined bikes even though they are optimised for the likes of Bou and Raga, and most buyers are nothing like Bou and Raga.

• Thanks 1