Sherpa 199a tank change

jontribe

Hi Chaps

I'd like to do some dual sport events on my 199a, I did the Michaux PA. meeting last year, but could not complete it because I need an 80 mile range which my stock setup tank does not have. I'd really like to do it this year, it being the last one.

Can anyone help, was there a larger Bultaco tank ever made, not sure there was. Has anyone ever come across this issue and solved it?? Anyone know a different larger tank that would fit?

Any ideas/advice would be gratefully received!!

TIA

A late model Alpina model 212 or 213, tank and saddle might do the trick. I saw at tank at the Stafford Show in the UK last year and thought that would be useful for longer distances etc. Only reason I didn't buy it the inset nuts for the later type fuel tap were pulled clean out of the tank, from over tightening.

Edited by model80

If your bike has the original plastic tank it is listed as 1.1 gallons. The earlier 159 - 191 fiberglass tanks are listed as 1.4 gallons and will fit straight on. You could also gear the bike up, standard gearing is 11/39, so you can put either a 12T or 13T front sprocket on depending on the terrain of course.

Cheers Greg

41 minutes ago, sherpa325 said:

If your bike has the original plastic tank it is listed as 1.1 gallons. The earlier 159 - 191 fiberglass tanks are listed as 1.4 gallons and will fit straight on. You could also gear the bike up, standard gearing is 11/39, so you can put either a 12T or 13T front sprocket on depending on the terrain of course.

Cheers Greg

The 159 or 191 tanks were fibreglass (outside the UK) as standard, so that presents it own problem with modern petrol.

The old trick for long distance events was to hide a couple of spare tins of fuel behind trees along the route.  That was if you had no support crew.  If you are allowed a helper, then arrange to have re-fueling stops with them every 30 miles.

I see that you are from the states so your gallons are smaller than ours over here in the UK. So best to quote metric. My Bultaco book lists the late Alpina tank at 8.5lt. I bought an Alloy Alpina tank for my M188 (listed as Sherpa) of ebay from India last year and am very happy with it. We have to much ethenol in our UK fuel now which destroys the fibreglass tanks.

US Gallon 3.78lt

UK Imperial Gallon 4.52lt

The Alpina tank is different at the rear where the seat aligns so you might have some issues with the seat.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock
spellling