Laziest way to clean rust from a tank?

turbofurball

Had a fuel leak from my filter on Sunday, figured it wasn't a problem I'd just bypass it ... except that the filter has been doing a lot of filtering, and I could see all the rust going down to the carb after putting a new clear hose on :( (fortunately didn't try to start the bike, so I don't need to rebuild the carb!)

So ... what's the best way to clear out the worst of the rot from a steel tank?  I just want it to be ok through this summer really, not worried about a permanent fix.

So far the suggestions are lead shot, vinegar, or just swill it out with fuel.

Oxalic acid, I used it on a (very rusty) rickman steel tank, and some old DT125 parts.

It did the job very well indeed without even damaging the paint on the outside of the tank :thumbup: 

but be careful and safe, I did mine in the lab at work!

they also use it on boat hulls, to clean the fiberglass. you can buy it on ebay 

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 1

When I had a leak in the AJS tank I needed an Ethanol proof coating, can't remember the name but it came from Wyldes of Leeds & has been very good. The instructions for cleaning the crap out before coating was to chuck in a load of self tappers & shake it. I would suggest a couple of hundred Turbo Gold Wood Screws (small ones, say 16 mm) ffom somewhere like Screw Fix.

Not the laziest fix I know, but ye tank deserves looking after, why not clean it & coat it & be happy for years like me?

Dick.

Do you have Metal Rescue in the UK? We have used this on many rusty parts including several vintage tanks. It works great and is non toxic! Doesn't harm paint. Also is great for the lazy - just fill it up with the stuff, and let it set for a day or two - no shaking required!

5 hours ago, suzuki250 said:

Oxalic acid, I used it on a (very rusty) rickman steel tank, and some old DT125 parts.

It did the job very well indeed without even damaging the paint on the outside of the tank :thumbup: 

but be careful and safe, I did mine in the lab at work!

they also use it on boat hulls, to clean the fiberglass. you can buy it on ebay 

I've used oxalic acid on white fibreglass and also teak very successfully. I tried to de-rust some manky old tools and found that they were left with a yellowy-green film that wasn't a lot prettier than the previous rust.

A quick google tells me the liner is called "flowliner" ... I guess if it's worth doing it's worth doing right!  I'd like to get a Majesty tank at some point, but having the original too would be nice in case of doing some distance :)

I'll see what I can scrounge up to wash it out with, perhaps a mix of that acid and some self-tappers would be the ideal combination though - I don't really care what the inside of my tank looks like as long as it's not falling off in chunks, lol

Thanks for all the replies though, it's great to see so many options!

Just checked it on the Web, I'm sure that's the one I used & it's been in a lot of years.

I wasn't aware of the Bio Rust product but think I would be trying that if I had another one to do.

Sounds a lot easier than shaking a petrol tank.

I've read of a water & molasses mix being used in Australia for rust removal, as non toxic as you'll ever get but does take a bit of time. Have a look on the ozvmx forum & you should find a few different threads on this problem 

Edited by tony27
  • Like 1

I have used molasses in a Bultaco Metralla fuel tank that had heavy rust in i. I just filled the tank up with molasses and left it for two weeks and then emptied it out. Inside was spotless with all the rust deposits gone. Rinsed it out with water and then some petrol and it is still going well after about 2 years. It rusted because it was left empty. I have been told that vinegar works very well too. Same process. Graham.

Citrus acid, cheap, easy to use, the water where you have dissolved the acid should to be hot or very warm to get the result faster done.

The neat thing it works too for all Kind of metals like Aluminium and will also declcify and thus erase other debris which normal rust remover can't too.

So do also work for coffee machines and radiators!