4RT rear mudguard sticker

barfy

So I’m after some advice about putting on a rear mudguard sticker. I’ve got a new mudguard and sticker on the way after breaking the current one at the weekend. 

From what I’ve read and my thoughts here is what I was going to do:

1. Warm the sticker on the radiator. 
  2. Wet the mudguard with a solution of water and washing up liquid. 
  3. Starting at the back put the sticker on using a hair dryer to heat and slightly stretch down the middle of the sticker. 
  4. Work from the middle to the edge squeezing out the bubbles. 
  5. Repeat with the seat but without slightly stretching the middle of the sticker. 

Top tip is make sure that the guard is really clean and free from grease - use a pre paint cleaner or carb cleaner, don't try and stretch it and pay attention the any sharp corners or edges on the sticker as they catch first on your clothing. 

Edited by paulmac

Also when using water and soap, very little soap is needed and use a thin layer to just barely float the sticker as you apply it.  

The intent with the soap is to brake down the surface tension of the water so it will come out from under the sticker easy and dry faster.    

OK, so I am a Trials rider with some experience of sticker/vinyl application as I have worked in the sign industry. I’ve also fitted a full graphic set to a 4RT.

Some tips.

Work in a dust free pet hair free environment as the static produced by removing the backing paper sucks any dirt out of the air.

Before you apply your new stickers create some central line datum points with a fine felt pen.

Warm up new graphics with a hair dryer, but not too much or it ends up in a floppy mess.

Have a friend help you, ready to lift off graphics if application goes wrong.

Do not use too much detergent in water, just enough to form a drip off of a pin into a pint will do, breaks surface tension.  Apply water via a discarded domestic cleaner spray, you want a mist.

An item like a credit card is good to smooth out water and bubble, but sand the edge as they are sharp and scratch.

Good luck, it often ends in tears or a fight!

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm good with flat surfaces, but it's the 2 way curvature that is a bit of concern.

The mudguard and stickers arrived today, so I'll give it a go on Saturday when I've got some time to take it carefully and can get on the kitchen table. Sounds like I best not ask the wife to give me a hand because it could end in tears. Most probably mine when I've buggered £60 worth of graphics that have gone wrong.

Fingers crossed...

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm good with flat surfaces, but it's the 2 way curvature that is a bit of concern.

The mudguard and stickers arrived today, so I'll give it a go on Saturday when I've got some time to take it carefully and can get on the kitchen table. Sounds like I best not ask the wife to give me a hand because it could end in tears. Most probably mine when I've buggered £60 worth of graphics that have gone wrong.

Fingers crossed...

Leave the graphics off, as you’ll probably damage the new rear mudguard again. Keep the graphics for when you sell the bike. Stickers never made a bike any better to ride.

• Haha 1

Thanks Section, I like my bikes to look neat. I hope it distracts the observer for when I have my feet down. 

Anyway thanks for the advise. It’s all done and although some small bubbles where the crease is in the mudguard under the sticker it looks ok. Well I’m happy with it. 

729E3F36-B8AB-4365-8864-DBE7DCF9D540.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Graphics are not that hard even on compound curves, have to disagree with the above, I never use water and always use lots of heat, just done this for our kid to sell, don’t be afraid to lift and lift again if your not happy

77E96F28-12C2-4326-ADC4-5CDE12727FBF.jpeg

Had a complete mare with applying  the stock graphics to my 4RT rear guard

Despite loads of heat and a brand new guard, they lifted and peeled, even though the bike didn't leave the garage.

No way would they last a Trial

Ripped them off and just put a few stickers onto a plain guard

Whatever they do at the factory, the stickers last forever

Edited by johnnyboxer