Montesa 4Rt for newbie

Black

Hi all, 

Newbie to the forum (and trials bikes!) - I am looking for some advice please

im in my forties, motorcycling for years but never ridden a trials bike. Although I've been interested in them since watching kickstart I've never made a purchase. However now having two young kids and a friend who was badly injured in a road crash I find myself looking at trials bikes, just for fun and improving my skills initially but in due course might try and get into the trials scene with my boys.

Like a lot of newbies my question regards which bike to get. The first part is easy, I am settled on a Montesa. I love honda stuff and have done for years, even have a Honda lawnmower. Ouestion is which one to get and how much to spend.

I have three options. I can get:

1. Brand new 2017 model white 4Rt 260 on 0% finance and dealer will chuck in a few goodies such as boots

2. Brand new 2017 model 4Rt 300RR on 0% finance and dealer will chuck in a few more goodies. Suspension and component quality is the draw here rather than the power. Also I'm telling myself I would never need another bike and could have it for 20 years and, hell, you can spend 10 grand on a pushbike these days so it's not crazy expensive for what you get

3. Dealer has a 65 plate 4Rt 260 at a good price. Have seen the bike. Clearly used but clean enough. Needs new tyres

luckily I am in a position where I can afford any of the above options as I have some cash spare from selling my road bike. My heart says sod it pay the extra and get the 300 because it looks so flipping awesome and I would love admiring it as much as riding it. My head says get the new 260 cos it's much more reasonable and there's no way I'll even notice any difference between that and the 300. And then I think I should just get the 65 plate, massive saving almost brand new in my mind, crucially I'm not going to cry when I drop it, but actually might the previous owner have thrashed the life out of it and it's going to need a load of money putting into it once I've got it home

also the new bikes are 2017s - shouldn't they be 2018s by now?

so that's my situation. Any advice very welcome! I was up at 4am this morning cos I couldn't sleep for thinking about it!!!

cheers

will

Loving Hondas is not the way to choose a trials bike. The Beta 200 is the hands down choice for a newbie bike.

Honda also makes a truck. That would be last on my list when looking for a truck.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 2

Hi all, thanks very much for the replies. Much appreciated. 

Just to be clear I will not be hammering round the novice section every Saturday on a brand spanking 300RR ?! If I get to the stage where I want to get into local club events that then yes of course I would spend 1500 quid on a cota 315r or a beta or Scorpa that I wouldn't be so worried about. 

for this bike I really hate to use the word 'toy', but honestly it would be a purchase as much about admiring a fine machine as much (or more) than it would be for me to progress as a rider. In a perfect world those two things would come together but if they don't then I'm not too worried about it. 

in the fullness of time id like to get to the same level as this guy, I certainly don't have aspirations to do the ssdt or ride up waterfalls

• Like 1

Thanks for the response - I wasn't so clear in my original post sorry. If I got a new Montesa I certainly wouldn't be taking it straight out on a novice section. No way. People would probably laugh at me for a start. I'd be practising as much as I could (even in my garden) to develop basic skills so that a couple of years down the line I could start doing trials, if I wanted to. Even then I might consider a second bike would be a better option than risking my pride and joy!

with that said should I be expecting 2018MY Montesas to be out soon?? Should I pull the trigger now, or wait?

thanks again

other than stickers I think the 2018 monts are virtually the same as 2017 so anew /old stock 2017 might be a bit cheaper.

The 300rr despite being a bigger engine and top spec bike is I feel actually easier to ride. Totally understand the Rhonda philosophy and  yes they are a bit heavier but they are the best built bike. If you can afford it and want a toy that makes you smile every time out then it has to be the \Mont 300cc. Get a big seat and would be a cracking trail bike as well. If you want the best novice trials bike then there maybe other options.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Black said:

Thanks for the response - I wasn't so clear in my original post sorry. If I got a new Montesa I certainly wouldn't be taking it straight out on a novice section. No way. People would probably laugh at me for a start. I'd be practising as much as I could (even in my garden) to develop basic skills so that a couple of years down the line I could start doing trials, if I wanted to. Even then I might consider a second bike would be a better option than risking my pride and joy!

with that said should I be expecting 2018MY Montesas to be out soon?? Should I pull the trigger now, or wait?

thanks again

As the guy in the video, firstly thank you for admiring my riding. Secondly, I'd agree with a lot with what has been said previously. I can totally sympathise, these Montesas really do look the part. The only thing is they are a fair it to handle, and if you're looking to get into trials in the most comfortable way possible, I'd highly recommend going for a cheaper option. The fact that they're Hondas doesn't really matter unless you want build quality which I believe is second to none (hence why I bought it). Due to the nature of the four stroke doesn't really appeal to everyone as its got that much low end torque it could uproot a tree stump (figuratively speaking), it creates a really hard ride in the wet. Plus they feel heavy compared to other machines so in combination with what I said before, it means hard work. 

If you want to have a go at trials, start with something you think is a friendly machine - I'd probably recommend something like a 2 stroke Beta Evo 250. Doesn't matter what year it is at this point. Have a go on one, or any other make, and see what feels the nicest.

I hope this helps ;)

Evo2t2015_web_1.jpg

• Like 1

I love my older 2007 4RT and my new 300 RR even more.  I ride intermediate and wouldn't hesitate to suggest a 260 or 300 to anyone really interested in one.  

That being said, before you buy, I would suggest even if not planning to get into competition early, find a club and go check out an event.  If you go and ask lots of questions you might get some test rides on a 4RT and/or some other bikes and it will help you see if it's really worth your time and $.

Olso, in my opinion, if you want to be as good as the guy in the video in a year or less you will want to get hooked up with som other trials riders to learn from.  Even without that some quality practice and you could get that in the first 6 to 12 months.

Edited by jonnyc21

Thanks again for your responses! And particularly Lee, I've watched your vid about 5 times now, I really aspire to ride at a similar level to you, it's clearly way more than I could do if I got on a trials bike tomorrow but equally looks vaguely realistic in a way that watching dougie lampkin or people blasting up rocks in the ssdt never will. Plus your mont sounds awesome ?

The other thing that draws me to these bikes is the amount of posts I've seen on the internet where people are saying 'bought one new in 2006, ridden it hard ever since, never let me down, still enjoying it today' a bit like Jonnyc above. 

With all that in mind, plus the fact I would gladly have one in my living room I think they look so cool, plus the zero % finance, and it's adding up to be a bit of a no-brainer. 

Will report back, just got a slight doubt about the model year thing. Thanks again! Will

• Like 1

You’ve got the dosh, buy a good used two stroke Trials bike and practice, practice and practice some more. Keep it clean, learn about it, fettle or fiddle with the twiddly bits and see what that does but do it a little at a time.....like you probably did with your road bike. You never know you may be so pleased with getting an older bike looking the business that you save your dosh and just stay with the old bike??? Please practice where it is legal and not causing grief so that trials events get it in the neck. Those Honda 4stroke Trials engines do need a lot of maintenance compared to a two stroke, another buying consideration. 0 % finance is great if you haven’t got the capital or fancy keeping it, but how much discount might you get buying with cash? The Honda TLM would look excellent on the wall over my fireplace. Any of the latest trials offerings would be nice just to sit and study, the way everything goes together neatly and oh so closely fitted???just as some of the pre65’s have their own allure!

Any of them will be a pleasure to own and ride, the RR is not an intimidating bike at all, very docile and smooth at the bottom end and enough power at the top end to send you up anything. Maintenance is a doddle, oil and filter every 6 weeks ish, air filter and oil the chain. Probably less maintenance than a 2 stroke. Personally, my favourite is the 260 engine.

If you want it, get it. 

• Like 2