Montesa 4Rt for newbie

Black

6 hours ago, Black said:

Thanks again for your responses! And particularly Lee, I've watched your vid about 5 times now, I really aspire to ride at a similar level to you, it's clearly way more than I could do if I got on a trials bike tomorrow but equally looks vaguely realistic in a way that watching dougie lampkin or people blasting up rocks in the ssdt never will. Plus your mont sounds awesome ?

The other thing that draws me to these bikes is the amount of posts I've seen on the internet where people are saying 'bought one new in 2006, ridden it hard ever since, never let me down, still enjoying it today' a bit like Jonnyc above. 

With all that in mind, plus the fact I would gladly have one in my living room I think they look so cool, plus the zero % finance, and it's adding up to be a bit of a no-brainer. 

Will report back, just got a slight doubt about the model year thing. Thanks again! Will

Reviewed the 2017 and 2018 specifications and I don't see where you would loose anything really worth the difference when considering 0% to get a 2017 over a 2018.  The amount of change just isn't that big unless your going to compete.  And even then I would go with a 2017 for less out of pocket. 

My 2 cents, and good luck! :thumbup:

Hey Black,

I feel like everyone missed the point here. the Honda montesa cota is first and foremost designed to bring in new riders to the sport of trials. in true Honda fashion its a bike that can satisfy beginners thru expert alike. maybe its not the favorite of folks that have trialed all their life and know where to get the low volume brands that might be lighter and more maneuverable than a cota . u didn't get excited about buying a sherco or beta or gas gas  , u got excited about a cota because it was accessible. and u know there is a large company behind that product to support u in case of any issues it may have. so being a Honda fan is actually a good reason to get into trials in spite of what some here might think. I had been waiting for years to get into trials as a lifetime motorcyclist having had nearly 30 new bikes in my riding career. but it wasn't till the Honda showed up that I pulled the trigger and got in as a beginner buying a 2015 260. now I practice on a trials bicycle daily and have vintage tl Hondas I built for my wife so we can ride at her level. she loves her tl125. check out the pictures in Honda forum under the "happy new year" post. I could say more but I should stop here. flame on everyone

Good morning Lineaway, 

I hear you about the warranty, but that's not the point. the sport of trials needs new participants. I personally don't see any company beside Honda  working to bring anyone new into the sport. Honda has posted up the bike on their international website and welcomed one and all to come get a bike and try this wonderful discipline of trials motorcycling, that's what started this post, Honda making a bike accessible to this gentleman.

15 hours ago, section swept said:

Those Honda 4stroke Trials engines do need a lot of maintenance compared to a two stroke, another buying consideration. 

:stupid: -not sure about that -please explain :o 

2 hours ago, maxwell smart said:

Good morning Lineaway, 

I hear you about the warranty, but that's not the point. the sport of trials needs new participants. I personally don't see any company beside Honda  working to bring anyone new into the sport. Honda has posted up the bike on their international website and welcomed one and all to come get a bike and try this wonderful discipline of trials motorcycling, that's what started this post, Honda making a bike accessible to this gentleman.

While the exposure has been great to see a brand new trials bike on the floor at the local Honda dealer, I cannot think of a new rider that we gained. Most new riders that bought the bike came out to an event once and not returned. We do have more Montesa's than most clubs though, at least twenty. So that is a pretty good showing. 

Thanks all for the input.

so, I am stewing over this one more than I have over any previous motorcycle purchase for some reason. I have been down to the dealer again today for another look (and they're not close so I must be committed!) 

all of a sudden I find I am strongly leaning towards the repsol rep with the 260 engine which, incidentally, the dealer says is the most popular of the three. 

The reasons for this are - the demonstrator they have was out in the middle of the showroom. Now I'm not usually a big fan of orange but this thing looked FANTASTIC. Secondly it's got the DID wheels, and thirdly it's got the Showa front forks, which I would have thought must be as good as the tech on the 300? Certainly to someone like me anyway. Lastly it seems to be the only one in the range which is a 2018 model.

I certainly wouldn't want for any more power than this has, so really why would I pay an extra nearly £1,000 for the 300. Unless there is other nice kit on the 300 which I haven't noticed?

so that's where I'm at.

Must try to make a decision soon ?

Will

• Like 1

Not wanting to confuse anymore than you are already but think the 300RR is an easier bike to ride. (probably most forgiving of the 3) Has DID wheels also.

My take on the Mont range is

If you don't buy a 300RR and want to get the best performance in the sections then buy the std 260 and tweak -bigger pipe/ohins etc -will work out cheaper than a Repsol -which would still benefits from having a larger front pipe. 

If you want the best bike - novice or expert  - and can afford it then the 300RR

If you want bling and the prettiest then Repsol

Simples:D:thumbup:;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

Not wanting to confuse anymore than you are already but think the 300RR is an easier bike to ride. (probably most forgiving of the 3) Has DID wheels also.

My take on the Mont range is

If you don't buy a 300RR and want to get the best performance in the sections then buy the std 260 and tweak -bigger pipe/ohins etc -will work out cheaper than a Repsol -which would still benefits from having a larger front pipe. 

If you want the best bike - novice or expert  - and can afford it then the 300RR

If you want bling and the prettiest then Repsol

Simples:D:thumbup:;)

I was almost decided before you said that ?

Whats your view on Showa vs Tech ...?

8 hours ago, lineaway said:

While the exposure has been great to see a brand new trials bike on the floor at the local Honda dealer, I cannot think of a new rider that we gained. Most new riders that bought the bike came out to an event once and not returned. We do have more Montesa's than most clubs though, at least twenty. So that is a pretty good showing. 

You may not have, but our little group sure did.  His name is Bob, he picked up a new 2-17 Montesa 260 and rides on a regular basis with us.  I call that a win... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyl said:

:stupid: -not sure about that -please explain :o 

Well valve clearance adjustments, very fiddly. Oil and filter changes, oil strainer to clean, access to both restricted. Then there’s timing chain tensioner concerns. All the extra parts of a four stroke mean extra weight too.