Montesa 4Rt for newbie

Black

On 08/04/2018 at 9:35 PM, Black said:

Thanks again for your responses! And particularly Lee, I've watched your vid about 5 times now, I really aspire to ride at a similar level to you, it's clearly way more than I could do if I got on a trials bike tomorrow but equally looks vaguely realistic in a way that watching dougie lampkin or people blasting up rocks in the ssdt never will. Plus your mont sounds awesome ?

The other thing that draws me to these bikes is the amount of posts I've seen on the internet where people are saying 'bought one new in 2006, ridden it hard ever since, never let me down, still enjoying it today' a bit like Jonnyc above. 

With all that in mind, plus the fact I would gladly have one in my living room I think they look so cool, plus the zero % finance, and it's adding up to be a bit of a no-brainer. 

Will report back, just got a slight doubt about the model year thing. Thanks again! Will

you can get zero % finance on most bikes, BUT that shouldnt influence your choice.

2 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

this is the most important post on here, absolutely 100% right.

It is

I saw many out at Sunday's Trial

Some lads were flying up banks, on them...making it look easy.................whilst other riders on the same bikes were sliding backwards on 4RT's

• Like 1

13 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

Why?

Have you not ridden a late model 4rt? The tech`s come on 90% of the Montesa`s sold. As being a package together with the rear shock, the suspension is quite impressive. I do not ride 4RT`s but the family that is my employer has 10 of them. So I ride them weekly. It`s night and day between the bikes with Showa`s and the newer one`s with the tech`s. Quite more lively modern feel to the whole bike.

35 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Have you not ridden a late model 4rt? The tech`s come on 90% of the Montesa`s sold. As being a package together with the rear shock, the suspension is quite impressive. I do not ride 4RT`s but the family that is my employer has 10 of them. So I ride them weekly. It`s night and day between the bikes with Showa`s and the newer one`s with the tech`s. Quite more lively modern feel to the whole bike.

Have you ridden one with the newer (-G11) Showa fork? That's what the newer Repsol has, and it's more "lively" than the Showa forks with the older damper assembly.

7 hours ago, lineaway said:

I shall try one, only had a brief ride on a stock 260

20 hours ago, section swept said:

Well valve clearance adjustments, very fiddly. Oil and filter changes, oil strainer to clean, access to both restricted. Then there’s timing chain tensioner concerns. All the extra parts of a four stroke mean extra weight too. 

Have checked tappetts once or twice but never seem to change .

oil filter is a 15 min job every 2 to 3 months that’s it more than a 2 stroke less the the time taken on a carb bike to strip and clean the carb every other trial and the messing about buying and mixing 2 stroke every week.

would say if you add it up the mont needs no more time and probably less time working on than others .

cant argue against the whirring bits weigh more though but happy to live with that - but as said before - that’s personal preference 

• Like 2

I think in the real world, for this gent he should buy which one looks the best to him, i doubt most novices could appreciate the difference in suspension as most, including myself struggle to clean a red route. It's a toy atm and as he progresses it will become a work tool and won't sweat about damage if he cleans a tough section.

Edited by retromlc
  • Like 1

Hi all,

very much appreciate the replies.

A quick update - I very, very nearly bought a used 2017 model repsol but, on closer inspection, the bike had seen a lot more use than I thought it had from looking at the photos. Wheels scuffed and chipped, fork guards missing, scratches on tank etc. Not really what I'm looking for when spending a lot of money.

So it looks like I'm going to go for a new 2018 model repsol, with a reasonable amount of dealer chucked-in goodies, and 0% over 24 months. With about half the cash put in from me the monthly payments are very doable.

The 300RR would definitely have been my first choice but you've got to stop at some point haven't you, and I see the repsol as being the best compromise between spec and money and it will be more bike than I will ever need, that's for sure.

Will hopefully be able to sort something in next few days, and will keep the thread updated. 

thanks again!

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black said:

Hi all,

very much appreciate the replies.

A quick update - I very, very nearly bought a used 2017 model repsol but, on closer inspection, the bike had seen a lot more use than I thought it had from looking at the photos. Wheels scuffed and chipped, fork guards missing, scratches on tank etc. Not really what I'm looking for when spending a lot of money.

So it looks like I'm going to go for a new 2018 model repsol, with a reasonable amount of dealer chucked-in goodies, and 0% over 24 months. With about half the cash put in from me the monthly payments are very doable.

The 300RR would definitely have been my first choice but you've got to stop at some point haven't you, and I see the repsol as being the best compromise between spec and money and it will be more bike than I will ever need, that's for sure.

Will hopefully be able to sort something in next few days, and will keep the thread updated. 

thanks again!

Will

Which dealer was best?

49 minutes ago, johnnyboxer said:

Which dealer was best?

Just tried to pm you but can't for some reason, says you can't receive email. 

There's one dealer that does seem to be better than the others but I don't think it's the right thing to go into it on a public forum

15 minutes ago, Black said:

Just tried to pm you but can't for some reason, says you can't receive email. 

There's one dealer that does seem to be better than the others but I don't think it's the right thing to go into it on a public forum

Try again, deleted some messages to free up space

I was on both the repsol and the rr at the wekend and I'm not a fan of the tech forks or the shock, (whatever it is) on the std 260 and the RR, the shock, especially feels a little dead, but I haven't used anything but showa stuff since 2003. Overall, the RR was nice, but without the showa, the repsol felt a better bike.

Another thing I noticed was the riding position, I don't know if the RR uses different bars or footrest hangers but the riding position felt somewhat flat compared to the repsol.