Montesa 315R Clutch Problems

Merch Guy

I've been working on the Monty trying to get it fit for use again and been frustrated so far at my attempts to fix the clutch so far.

I've replaced the slave cylinder with a good replacement, new braided hose, rebuilt the master cylinder and bleed it all.

Still when sitting cold and still I can't get the clutch to release !!

Help, I'm at my wit's end and ready to give up.

In the past I've fired mine up in first gear, as it's warming up I've kept pulling the clutch in and using the brakes at the same time, it always did the trick.

I presume you've got some good dimpled clutch plates in there with some atf oil or whatever's used these days ?

Run the engine for a few minutes, kill engine, select first or second and with clutch pulled in rock bike back and forth until you feel the clutch let go. Strip and careful inspection and clean as Oni Nou suggests would be a good idea, get rid of any burrs found on the clutch drum and plates. You say you have replaced the slave cylinder with a good one if this is second hand ensure that there is no corrosion inside the slave cylinder bore, this will shorten slave piston movement. As Oni Nou indicates about the bearing in between the two push rods you may also consider getting one push rod a few mm longer, this may alleviate the issue altogether.

1 hour ago, oni nou said:

Looks like that's the cause of your problem .......or I just got caught out bull****ing again[ not alone there], still I have got away with it for a good while now ......not bad for an accountant who has never even ridden a trials bike let alone taken one apart.......Its the ledger ......I just need some kind of outlet for the creative mind you see.

Bye, see you when you get back ...

• Thanks 1

On 10/04/2018 at 4:44 PM, oni nou said:

Looks like that's the cause of your problem .......or I just got caught out bull****ing again[ not alone there], still I have got away with it for a good while now ......not bad for an accountant who has never even ridden a trials bike let alone taken one apart.......Its the ledger ......I just need some kind of outlet for the creative mind you see.

youve never ridden?

315Rs are notorious for "cold sticking".  The Calvin Klein-priced Elf oil helps, but the best fix I ever ran across was replacing the solid steels with dimpled ones.  Also makes the clutch action more progressive.