Hi guys

Pentland

As a returner with a somewhat longer absence, I've only a few months experience to go on (and a lot of reading on this forum). I really don't think there is any definitive answer to which bike is lower maintenance. Buy the cleanest, tidiest bike within your budget; not the newest or the blingiest. Accept that routine maintenance will include a certain amount of strip-down to clean the bike thoroughly, lots of chain cleaning and lubing, frequent air filter cleaning and oiling, and fairly frequent oil changing. Other than that, wheel bearings, suspension bushes and one or two other things will require occasional attention. None of this is beyond the capability of the average home mechanic.

Clothing is a very personal thing. Look in the "Trials Gear" sub-forum for quite a lot of guidance. Trousers need to allow free movement but not be too flappy. Proper trials trousers are the thing to have, unless you're really desperate not to be labelled a "mamil". What you wear on the top half is really completely open. Trials helmets are light, well-ventilated and don't restrict hearing too much, and prices start from about £50. Gloves are not essential but personally I always wear a pair of lightweight mechanix gloves so I don't skin my palms when I pause to closely inspect the ground.

Everyone has their own favourite brand of boots. Forma Boulder are the cheapest; well, least expensive. Gaerne are the only ones that claim to be waterproof, which seems to me to be a pretty essential part of the spec. Therefore I bought Gaerne, and I'm happy with them.

Ok are we talking new bike vs used? Body type (wee skinny/clydesdale)? Trick riding vs plonker? Comfort vs impact resistance. Two stroke/four stroke?

The more info you can give us the better we can help you. You won’t find a more enthusiastic group to help you. 

Hi dan, sorry I never gave more info, iam light to middle weight not big 5’9”, fairly fit, a bike for going out practicing down the woods etc, will start doing that first the join a club and take it from there, probably a 2 stroke bike, just found out how to get into this form and find the sub forms, just looking for a bit help and guidance, thanks

Best guidance I can give is be careful where you go "down the woods" as local polis have been equipped with off road bikes to pursue those doing what they shouldn't where they shouldn't due to the immense high profile problems locally with scrotes running amok on stolen bikes (of which you are no doubt aware).  It would be a shame to have your bike confiscated.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

We're on {East Neuk Wobblers} next Sunday Pentland if you fancy a trip to Fife.

You'll get plenty of advice and see what's what might even get a shottie if you're keen, we run trials most months and really aim things at new folk.

Maybe see you about.

Edited by breagh