Bike pick-up - strapping it in?

v1nn1e

Excitement!

Just bought my first ever trials bike and have hired a Berlingo to go and pick it up.

I've got an assortment of straps and ropes that I've accumulated over the years, along with dust sheets and old towels. Are there plenty of anchor points to which I can secure it? Is there any trick of experience that someone can pass on, or is it all pretty obvious?

Many thanks

Yes Berlingo has anchor points, or should have.

Ratchet straps are best/easiest as is having a ramp to push it up

Front wheel in first, put bike diagonally across load area, strap down bike

I usually put one strap over swinging arm one side and on the other side through the frame near foot peg

But depends on which bike you have

Enjoy!

Edited by ourian
Add a bit

Oh, just about to say 'I hope so' and then realised that although road reg and MOT'd it won't be insured, doh! May be able to get up on my TTR, wife-willing.

Hoping to book some training with Katie Nash in due course.

I carry my bike in a Berlingo car. I found I had to remove the back seats completely. Then the front wheel goes into the front left corner and I have to bounce the rear wheel slightly to the right. I use two rachet straps attached to the frame just below the seat. One goes to the back left anchor point and one goes to the front right. Done that way the bike is prone to roll to and fro slightly so I have a third strap from the handlebar down to the front left anchor.

If you're hiring, I'm guessing it may be a van which obviously means you don't have to worry about rear seats. You probably won't have a roof lining either which will make things easier (my roof lining has been assaulted a few times by the handlebars). Finally, the front wheel drops into the rear footwell on a car, but the floor extends further forward on a van so that will make life easier too. I made a small infill to bring the floor up to the main platform height.

I've carried a Beta Evo and a Fantic this way. You may have to adjust the strap positions slightly to suit the Sherco frame.

1 hour ago, trapezeartist said:

I carry my bike in a Berlingo car. I found I had to remove the back seats completely. Then the front wheel goes into the front left corner and I have to bounce the rear wheel slightly to the right. I use two rachet straps attached to the frame just below the seat. One goes to the back left anchor point and one goes to the front right. Done that way the bike is prone to roll to and fro slightly so I have a third strap from the handlebar down to the front left anchor.

If you're hiring, I'm guessing it may be a van which obviously means you don't have to worry about rear seats. You probably won't have a roof lining either which will make things easier (my roof lining has been assaulted a few times by the handlebars). Finally, the front wheel drops into the rear footwell on a car, but the floor extends further forward on a van so that will make life easier too. I made a small infill to bring the floor up to the main platform height.

I've carried a Beta Evo and a Fantic this way. You may have to adjust the strap positions slightly to suit the Sherco frame.

I found only one rear seat had to be removed and a timber arrangement as you suggest filled the footwell to prevent the wheel sinking making removal of the bike much easier. A strap round the top yoke and wheel spindle to compress the fork slightly before lifting it in prevents roof lining damage.

4 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I found only one rear seat had to be removed and a timber arrangement as you suggest filled the footwell to prevent the wheel sinking making removal of the bike much easier. A strap round the top yoke and wheel spindle to compress the fork slightly before lifting it in prevents roof lining damage.

Agreed, removing just the left seat would be a possibility, but I don't need the rear seats so they've both gone. And my roof lining can't get any worse now, though your suggestion would be handy for someone starting with a nice clean car. Though keeping the inside clean when you load a dirty bike in it is somewhat challenging. I could try shovelling all the mud out, but a quick spray of weedkiller seems easier :).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, petert said:

Vinnie, where are you collecting it from? I can whip over in the motor with bike rack

Do you use a bike cover to stop inquisitive pond life thieving scum bags from following you and nicking the bike, they probably wouldn’t be bothered if it was a Trials bike, or any other bike come to that ? Nice, generous offer.

Peter - hired from Kendalls - it was up near Huntingdon so a bit of a trek, but many thanks for the offer.

It was a Peugeot Partner in the end. Absolute doddle getting the bike in and ended up putting it on it's side-stand and just a couple of bungies - one around the swing arm on the same side as the stand and hooked to a floor D ring, then another around the handlebar and hooked through a metal bracket in the roof. No problems at all.

Doing a steady 60-65 mph I got 65mpg out of it, there and back - awesome.

PS - went up to Hookwood Sunday but about 2-ish by the time I'd got there - spoke to some guys and I think you'd left by then, if we'd identified the correct Peter T. Nearly scared myself watching, when I thought the white flags were wobbler-class, until someone pointed out the yellow ones! :D