Jitsie 173 Rear Brake Material?

vmxr

You should be able to tell by looking at the pad material, if you can see copper coloured particles in the friction material they are sintered. They may not be the best formula for trials bike braking, but for faster road and other forms of competition perfectly adequate. For good feel especially the rear brake a soft compound is good. From the front, soft to medium compound will give good feedback and performance. Obviously the softer the compound the more rapid will be the wear. Too often people go for a hard compound in the false hope of producing good braking, hard compounds need heat from speed to enable them to generate good braking.

• Like 1

Well the generous and appreciated responses I have received have made me realize I asked the wrong question...

The question I should have asked was: do the Jitsie 173 pads squeek or make excessive noise?

I'm looking for quiet rear brakes.

Remove pads, clean caliper piston faces ( the area that contacts the pad) clean the pad backs (the area that contacts the piston face) check that the edges of the metal pad backing are not rusted or damaged, clean off with abrasive paper/cloth such as fine emery or wet and dry 600 grade. Now use either high melting point silicon grease/white grease or Copperslip, use sparingly allow none to get on the friction material. You are looking to provide a barrier between the pad metal edges and the area between metal backing and pistons. Re fit pads and ensure no lube is on the disc or the pads. Pump brake lever or pedal a few times to establish brake feel and test by riding on road or track applying brakes gently. The other factor that will make any brake pad sqeak or squeal is that the small amount of ferrous metal particles in the pad material will rust over night creating a microscopic layer that gets wiped off on the first few brake applications. A lot of trials bikes have brakes that make a noise many can be cured by the method described in a few cases the leading edges of the pad need to be slightly chamfered by  approximately 0.5 mm, this will have an effect as you are reducing the braking surface area but not by much. When you consider that a Trials bike gets washed more than most other bikes it is easy to create noisy brakes. Hope you have success.??

• Like 1