X Ring Chain on 4t?

mcman56

Has anyone run an o ring chain on a 4t?  Does it rub on the cases?  What front sprocket size do you run?  I have a 9 tooth and there is very little clearance between chain and engine case with a non o ring chain.  I had a short piece of the skinny RK X ring chain and if I put it on the sprocket and push in on the chain, I can feel it drag on the case when turning the sprocket.  The X ring chain is about 0.045" wider than the non o-ring chain (at the link plates not pins)     

As cascadeimp1 suggests, X and O rings great on road bikes, but for trials they 1 add weight 2 create added powered sapping friction 3. May rub and chafe on other areas of the bike 4 increased weight increases likely chain slap etc 5 you cannot get lube in between the X and O ring seals, least ways not until the seals have worn a bit this also means the seals can trap silt, dirt and grit...not good. For the price of a good quality X or O ring chain you could probably buy two plain chains.

At least with plain standard chain you can clean the chain more thoroughly, lube it with what ever is your fancy, 3 in 1 light oil is good it will penetrate right into the folders etc. Yes it will sling off but not if you oil the chain the night before. WD40 is good as it drives out moisture and with both lubes there’s less tendency to hold onto the dirt and act as a grinding paste. Both will wash off easily after each event/ dirty practice etc.  Chain lube is good for the road bikes but it’s sticky and attracts the dirt and dust..not good. Some of us work on the fact that the chain and sprockets are wearing as soon as we ride so they’ll need replacing, so just wash the chain then spray with WD40 and then wipe any residue off. If you are going to go for long trail type rides or use your bike on road for longer than between sections then chain lube should be used. Silicon spray would perhaps be my number one choice, you can get small pocket sized cans and it has its uses for lubing in event other parts of the bike, helps keep water out of boot seams too! ??

I have run X ring chains on a number of trials bikes including a Rev3 and Evo 2t.  A standard O-ring chain fit on a 2002 Sherco.  They need little lubrication, no adjusting and seem to last forever so are very convenient. You can buy wider chain tensioners to accommodate.  I did not notice any power loss but none of the bikes were under-powered.  Anyway, rider skill limits my riding infinitely more than power.  But, there is little clearance between sprocket and engine case on the 4t so I'll give the WD40 method a try.