Txt 280cc 2010 - Starting Issue

ajc1989

I'm having some issues starting my GasGas 280cc TXT. I have had issues starting over the last couple of months, with the bike getting progressively harder to start. On a recent ride this week the bike would start but struggle to run without the throttle opened up and would cut out very quickly. Played around with idle screw with no change. Bought the bike home following the ride and cleaned the carb out with the same issue occurring. Cleaned the carb out again and attempted to restart the following day with no success. Cannot get the bike to even start now (not even close..)

So far in trying to get her running:

• Tested the compression - No issue with good compression reading from bike
  • Put a thimble of petrol directly in the head - No success starting following this.
  • Cleaned out the carb a number of times
  • Fuel petcock working fine, seems to be a good fuel supply from tank.
  • Spark: Appear to be getting a spark (not particularly strong though) but with the plug removed seem to be getting a spark on every kick. 
  • Fitted new plug etc - no positive effect.
  • Kill switch - Disconnect kill switch, still not starting.

I appreciate that the forum has a number of similar threads on non starting bikes, had a trawl without any success as of yet getting the bike up and running again! Fairly inexperienced with respect to motorcycles (from an mountain bike background) so any help appreciated!

Just want to get her up and running again!

I had a similar issue with a 2011,  300 Raga

turned out to be the CDI unit breaking down

i borrowed one off a mates GasGas to try

plugged it in and it started first kick

unfortunately there not cheap.

Try putting the spark plug gap to as little as 4mm , this will may it easier for the ignition to provide a spark.  When you poured the petrol into the spark hole , did the bike fire? You said you have cleaned the carburetor , if it is a Dell'orto it is possible you have installed the floats upside down.  Check that the high tension spark plug lead is connected to the spark plug cap correctly. If it is a resistor type plug cap , it may be faulty.     Good luck.

6 minutes ago, reggie said:

Try putting the spark plug gap to as little as 4mm , this will may it easier for the ignition to provide a spark.  When you poured the petrol into the spark hole , did the bike fire? You said you have cleaned the carburetor , if it is a Dell'orto it is possible you have installed the floats upside down.  Check that the high tension spark plug lead is connected to the spark plug cap correctly. If it is a resistor type plug cap , it may be faulty.     Good luck.

When fuel was put directly into the spark hole the bike didn't fire. I will look at adjusting the spark plug gap as suggested. I have double checked the floats previously and pretty sure they are corrected oriented. I've double checked the spark plug cap, fitted correctly.

Edited by ajc1989

Weak spark outside of engine means no spark in the increased atmosphere of compression. You should get a big fat ⚡️ outside of engine. As others have done, try someone else’s CDI unit. Do a google search you may well find a cheaper alternative.

Have you checked the flywheel key? If this has sheared it would cause these symptoms. You have fuel, you have spark, but if the key has sheared, and the flywheel has rotated it could be firing in who knows where in the combustion cycle. Hence the no start issue.

Pull the gear lever, then ignition cover. Remove the flywheel retaining bolt (19mm socket) and the flywheel (27 x 1 puller RH thread) and check. You cannot check it properly without removing the flywheel.

• Like 1

Take a look at the condition of the cylinder base gasket. On my '09 280, the gasket was deformed inwards under the right side transfer ports, creating an air leak. The bike was hard to start, but ran fairly well once fired up. I replaced the original paper gasket with a thicker metal composition gasket.