Replacing the kill switch with a magnetic lanyard one

v1nn1e

My 2011 2.5 is fitted with a leonelli button kill switch mounted in the centre of the handlebar facing forwards.

Looks like the simplest option might be to cut this away and simply connect the magnetic kill switch wires to the two ends that previously went in to the button kill switch. My hope would be that if I got a Leonelli magnetic lanyard one, it would be wire for wire compatible.

Anyone comment on this? Will I, in fact, have to trace where these two wires go to, which looks to be somewhere down near the engine, and then replace the whole thing...?

Many thanks :D

Yep, I too would recommend saving your original killswitch if there’s nothing wrong with it, and just rewrite your new one the same way you remove the old one. (You wouldn’t be wrong to just cut the wires and add your new switch, but for the extra 10 minutes of work, I’d just replace the whole deal) ?

One wire from your kill switch goes to the frame ground bolt, and the other goes to a single spade connector off the CDI ? 

Yeah, agreed, I was being lazy! :wacko:

Looks like the ground is under the airbox, which will need to be removed to gain access to the earth bolt.

Anyone removed the airbox? Anyone had cause to access the earth bolt?

Not as daunting as I first thought.

The airbox comes off with two heavily recessed screws and unplugs from the carb rubber - a little too easily I thought. About 3 cable ties to clip through and once the two wires are unplugged/unscrewed it pulls through.

Bit disappointed with the Leonelli replacement item though. Firstly, the cable was a little on the short side; I'd been expecting to mount it pretty close to the clutch lever but there is only enough cable to reach to barely 1/3-1/2 way along the handlebar.

In addition, the handlebar clamp was simply not big enough for my diameter of handlebar, which I'm sure is the original. I had to re-use the spring clip from the original.

Anyway, all sorted and when I refitted the airbox I relocated the jubilee clip to the very end of the rubber, where I feel it is actually clamping down on the airbox stub tube.