Tapered steering head bearings

tony27

Is it normal for the tapered steering head bearings to have very little thread engagement?

I have 1 of the kits including the original seal that sits on the bottom yoke under the bearing & the seal is completely visible below the steering head, a fair amount of the top bearing case sits proud of the steering head & the only way the nut fits is upside down with only about 2 threads doing anything

This is the same kit as sold by TY Trials

Sounds very wrong to me, are you sure you have removed all of the old lower bearing from the steerer tube ? Or old parts from the headstock.

I think the top nut should always have full thread engagement in fact the steerer tube thread should come right through.

I am talking generic here as I do not have a TY but all other bikes I have had have not had your problem.

Had a better look today & compared it with a 175 with the kit already installed, turns out I was wrong about the lower seal showing.

I think the top of the headstock has been attacked with a grinder which is why the bearing shell sits proud. The 175 didn't have the seal fitted to the upper bearing which which gives a bit more thread & I had assumed the side of the lock nut with the taper went down which does make the amount of thread on the shaft appear too little if fitted that way

I may leave out the seal that comes with the lower bearing when I dry assemble it after the frame is painted during the week just to see how much extra thread that gives

I'll try & take a few photos as that happens & of the finished bike early next week

There are some kits out there that are not correctly sized. They are marketed for the TY but do not fit correctly i.e. the outer tracks are too deep by 2mm or so and stand proud. Even with the correct sized outer tracks you need to ensure that the head stock tube bearing land steps are thoroughly clean and free of any burrs etc.

I took the supplied seals off the bearings & only left the standard seal that sits below the lower bearing in place, that gave 1-2 turns more thread which is definitely better. 

I forgot to take photos but should be able to tomorrow while I'm reassembling the forks etc.

Had the freshly rebuilt motor running for the first time in 5 or 6 years, took 4 half kicks which is better than expected, sounds very un-TY like with zero engine noise so I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bike

• Like 3