Five or not?

teamferret

Interesting question came up at todays Midland Classic MCC trial. If your engine stops in a section, is it a straight five even if you can roll or push out. I've known trials where it is, and my brother once lost an event due to this rule, but does this apply to AMCA trials?????

Link to AMCA rules :

https://www.amca.uk.com/images/downloads-general/Trials_Rule_Book_2016.pdf

Item 33 marking

"Marks are awarded as follows:

5 Fails to complete the section ----

Engine stops with rider or any part of the machine (except the tyres) touching the ground."

I would read that as you can free wheel out or restart the bike without putting a foot down or leaning on a tree etc. If you put a foot down to restart it is a 5.

• Like 1

The wording just used to say  "engine stops", which seemed harsh to me as anyone skillful enough to restart without putting a foot down/stopping should not be penalised.  Good to see the rewording.

All we need now is a definition of what the AMCA mean by "back wheel" in relation to being out of a section.  ACU reference to wheel spindle is much clearer and use of front wheel is easier to judge in this day of self-observing.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

With regards rear wheel out. It is rear wheel spindle. At a recent Amca meeting, I proposed changing the rule to front wheel out but most the clubs wanted it left as it is. This is a problem as most riders especially in self observing situations, mark front wheel out. Quite a major decision sometimes when you manage to get your front wheel out then slide back in. Its a five for some and a clean for others. 

10 hours ago, eddie1 said:

Link to AMCA rules :

https://www.amca.uk.com/images/downloads-general/Trials_Rule_Book_2016.pdf

Item 33 marking

"Marks are awarded as follows:

5 Fails to complete the section ----

Engine stops with rider or any part of the machine (except the tyres) touching the ground."

I would read that as you can free wheel out or restart the bike without putting a foot down or leaning on a tree etc. If you put a foot down to restart it is a 5.

Wonder how that would work with a electric bike

• Like 1

On the continent it is the front wheel spindle that has to go through the Exit and then you are through the section, as too when when you start a section, and to movement here it is too the front wheel that has to move.

To the rear wheel we just have the rule that the rear wheel is not allowed to cross the route once.

Rolling around is OK to simultanious having the feet down while still moving and the engine out, this is wicked ...

1 hour ago, pschrauber said:

On the continent it is the front wheel spindle that has to go through the Exit and then you are through the section, as too when when you start a section, and to movement here it is too the front wheel that has to move.

It is the front wheel spindle in the UK as well.

Stuart

• Sad 1