GasGas 300 Keihin PWK 28mm.

fourex

18 hours ago, faussy said:

You can mention all the names you like, or how many world champs the guy has. All i know is that every time i hear jack price riding a section his bike is knocking. Go watch the BTC video from hookwoods if you like, it was particularly bad there. Fast forward to 37:50, if that isnt a bike underjetted, i dont know what is. Its so bad you could possibly say its overheating or there was water in the carb, but that isnt the only section let alone the only trial ive heard it do that

Yes, that sounds painful doesn't it. The richer # 3 slide is a good change but in the case of Jack Price in that video using the throttle openings he is using, I think a richer needle taper is also needed. I don't ride anything like that due to being old and of 'C' grade ability but still find it a little lean on hill climbs and those trail rides between sections, hence my starting this post. I'm going to experiment with KLG, KLH , KLJ  needles when they arrive.

jet2.jpg

photo_keihin_needle_N427_46.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

yes jack isnt that good at bike set up by the sound of it. Im pretty sure he has a 3,5 slide.

I thought gguk prepared all their bikes, thats why i was a little scathing, if they dont, then i totally take it back. His throttle style probably requires a different setup than the other riders lol

3 hours ago, fourex said:

Yes, that sounds painful doesn't it. The richer # 3 slide is a good change but in the case of Jack Price in that video using the throttle openings he is using, I think a richer needle taper is also needed. I don't ride anything like that due to being old and of 'C' grade ability but still find it a little lean on hill climbs and those trail rides between sections, hence my starting this post. I'm going to experiment with KLG, KLH , KLJ  needles when they arrive.

Yeah exactly, reving through the rev range is never a problem, its always that mid throttle hold than brings the weakness out. I would really love to try one of the trun racing larger float bowls. While i agree the jetting is a cause, i think after long drags or hill climbs its the lack of fuel in the float bowl is the real problem. A fix with the dellortos used to be to fit a larger fuel jet, but as far as i know there is no easy fix on the keihin. I first seen raga with the larger bowl a few years back and he always run with it. I've seen price with it fitted once or twice as well and it rang true with what i experienced. Long hills climbs, get to the top and its running out, and if the bike is at any incline it makes it worse. I fitted a jitsie bowl nut because it has a slightly larger volume than the standard keihin nut and i think it helped. I never did price a trun float bowl, has anyone else?

Edited by faussy

I know for sure, that Jack Price`s bike should have not made the second day in Arizona last year. It sounded horrid. And I scored both days. To fourex, I would try going up to a 48 or 50 pilot. I know our fuel is not the same, but you are chasing a bike that comes lean on the pilot. Everyone forgets the pilot runs 100% of the time.

Yes, I've been running a 48 PJ and # 3 slide since about mid 2015. It's only lately I've started riding this bike again after mainly using my twin shock Fantic in the past two years.

On 11/05/2018 at 11:32 AM, faussy said:

I thought gguk prepared all their bikes, thats why i was a little scathing, if they dont, then i totally take it back. His throttle style probably requires a different setup than the other riders lol

Yeah exactly, reving through the rev range is never a problem, its always that mid throttle hold than brings the weakness out. I would really love to try one of the trun racing larger float bowls. While i agree the jetting is a cause, i think after long drags or hill climbs its the lack of fuel in the float bowl is the real problem. A fix with the dellortos used to be to fit a larger fuel jet, but as far as i know there is no easy fix on the keihin. I first seen raga with the larger bowl a few years back and he always run with it. I've seen price with it fitted once or twice as well and it rang true with what i experienced. Long hills climbs, get to the top and its running out, and if the bike is at any incline it makes it worse. I fitted a jitsie bowl nut because it has a slightly larger volume than the standard keihin nut and i think it helped. I never did price a trun float bowl, has anyone else?

Tags big bowls were simply down to the extreme steepness and consequent angle of fuel in the carb.

On 13/05/2018 at 6:14 AM, nigel dabster said:

Tags big bowls were simply down to the extreme steepness and consequent angle of fuel in the carb.

Which only comes into effect when the fuel level is lower than ideal, resulting from inadequate float bowl volume. Its the combination of both

Edited by faussy