fanticdave

Fantic 200 whining noise - help please!

I have spent ages restoring my Fantic 200 (bacwards kick) and it is now looking great and running really well.   I do have one annoying issue with it....  When I put it into gear and let out the clutch, there is a bit of a whining noise coming from the engine.  It even does it if I slip the clutch and hold the bike still on the brakes.  My first thought was that it is slipping clutch plates, but I have replaced them with brand new ones and it makes exactly the same noise with the old ones in.  I didn't replace the clutch springs, but I have increased the spring pressure by fitting spring washers in the tubes to pack out the springs and this doesn't make any difference.  There is no evidence at all of clutch slippage when trying to start the bike or riding it.   It only makes the noise when in gear - in neutral it is perfectly fine.  The pitch of the noise is matched to the engine speed NOT the gearbox sprocket speed, so it can't be a secondary gearbox shaft issue. Since the primary shaft is rotating even when in neutral, I can't belive it is a problem there either.  So the noise would appear to be coming from either the clutch or the engine itself.

All of the engine and gearbox bearings are perfect - any that were not hae been replaced.

It is so long since I last rode the Fantic that I can't remember if it always made this noise!  I am beginning to womnder if it is something that the Minarelli engines just do!

I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any thoughts on this and would be delighted if someone could tell me that all these machines make this noise!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Unfortunately Fantics do make a horrible noise. We just have to forgive them because they're great bikes in every other respect.

• Like 1

You didn't mention replacing the bearing that the clutch basket spins on and that can only make a noise at the time you mentioned.

The clutch release thrust bearing also can only make a noise at the time you mentioned.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses so far.  As I see it, the clutch basket needle bearings would only be moving when the clutch is pulled in - the same applies to the thrust mechamism.    The noise only happens when I let the clutch out.

Dave

2 hours ago, fanticdave said:

Thanks for the responses so far.  As I see it, the clutch basket needle bearings would only be moving when the clutch is pulled in - the same applies to the thrust mechamism.    The noise only happens when I let the clutch out.

Dave

Whenever there is any tension on the clutch cable (whether the clutch lever is being pulled in, held in, or the clutch lever is being let out) the thrust bearing will be rotating and there will be axial loading on the gearbox input shaft.

Edited by feetupfun

I've not noticed any whining on my 200, so I'd say you have a fault...Sorry I can't be of any more help, hope you got to the bottom of it.