Pro's and cons..........242 v 247/8 cota

Twinshockandy

I ride a 247 and find it to be fine for twinshock trials. I haven't ridden a 248 or 242 since they were introduced decades ago but don't think one of those would be any better for me. Big difference is that new and used spares are a lot easier to get hold of for the 247.

• Like 1

The 247 is nice a bit like an OSSA MAR, or any pre 1977 trials bike.

When the 348 came the 247 and so the 248 came out of interest as everyone liked to have more cc and beef.

The 348 has certainly more power but I wouldn't say that the 247/8 has to little it is more then enough for classic trials.

The 247 have it's own chassis which is OK but a bit dated. The 248 has the same chassis as the 348 or 349 Cia but just less cc.

The 247 and 248 are robust bikes spare parts especially for the 248 are a bit rare.

The 242 is the most modern twinshock Cota and was also the forerunner to the 394, 307, 309 and 310, thus the most advanced chassis and engine, But spare pat situation is critical and the kick starter mechanism is nuts and fragil, reparation will hit with ease 500GBP mark, so be avare.

Otherwise I like the 242 very much and there are just two bikes that are as good like the Fantic 300 and the Aprilia TX 300.

• Thanks 1

The mechanism is crap in one and a half year in ownership I had to replaced the mechanism now twice. To the first time I even mounted a decompression valve but that won't help if you get kick back which lead to a colorfull leg and a teethless gear which all the other issues you have then.

Anyway riding wise the 242 is doing it so well I do forget the issues ...

Edited by pschrauber
get rid of most spelling issues
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I'm wondering why you are limiting so much your choice of what bike to ride

I'm not............I've already got a cota 123 and 348, (also a 315r) want to stay Montesa, as that's where the depth of my (very limited) knowledge lies. + Ossa's and Bultaco's kickstarts are on 'wrong side' for me (knackered left knee)...........

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice-looking 247. They do have very beautiful styling.

The air filter casing usually fits up close to the underside of the seat and has a hose with a 90 degree bend. I'm sure yours will work fine the way it is and only mentioned it in case things like that are important to you.

I see it has a MK1 AMAL carby. Beware of the throttle slide sticking at the top of its travel.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The air filter casing usually fits up close to the underside of the seat and has a hose with a 90 degree bend. I'm sure yours will work fine the way it is and only mentioned it in case things like that are important to you.

I see it has a MK1 AMAL carby. Beware of the throttle slide sticking at the top of its travel.

Thanks for pointer, must admit to thinking it was at a funny angle.

At present going around it just sussing out things to be done.............there is no chain tensioner fitted for example, where as I'm pretty sure originaly it would have had one (and there is a bracket halfway along swing arm which I guess is its location)

Re Mk1 Amal, is this a known fault with this model carb ? - and if so, how do users get around it, (yes I know there are other carbs out there often fitted...which is obviously an option if needed)

Edited by Twinshockandy
spelling

16 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I'm pretty sure the air box is correct for this model that Andy has, being different to previous Cota 247 air boxes

Edited by fourex
  • Like 1

Interesting , in the pic of air cleaner,............swing arm shows cap for chain oiler, I understand this feature was only on the early 247's...........although I'm happy to be proved wrong;  Certainly mine does not have this feature.