Montesa 4rt Clutch clean

jimmyt

Hi got a 2006 4RT not had it long clutch feels like it needs a good clean. Any tips for taken the clutch apart and cleaning the plates or is it much the same as say a Beta set up. Cheers for any info

I am not exactly clear what you mean by " feels like it needs a good clean " but there are only a few moving parts so here is a rundown of what is possible:

1) remove the lever,clean all pivot points, lube and reassemble.

2) Bleed the hydraulic system as suggested by Maxwell Smart.

3) Clean the friction plates inside the clutch.  Remove the side cover, remove the 6 screws and take out the pressure plate, steel plates and the discs with friction material.  Clean thoroughly, lube with transmission oil and reassemble in the same sequence of disassembly.  Probably a good idea to change the transmission fluid while you are in there.  Make sure you know what fluid you plan to use before taking things apart.  Montesa recommends a special oil.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Nebulous said:

I have the Apico metal dimpled plates with Elf HTX740syn.  Very smooth and progressive. A real clutch , not an on/off switch.

That is the correct answer coming from the guy with issues! B)

On 5/18/2018 at 4:56 PM, jimmyt said:

Hi got a 2006 4RT not had it long clutch feels like it needs a good clean. Any tips for taken the clutch apart and cleaning the plates or is it much the same as say a Beta set up. Cheers for any info

The whole basket takes out so it's a simple process. Recently done mine as I had to change the kickstart return spring (along with a complete rebuild of the bike, thread/pics coming soon). Make sure the area you're working in is clean. Lay it down on a clean towel and go through the plates one by one. Insect/clean etc. I'd recommend the dimpled clutch plate set and using the recommended Elf gear oil. When you put it back together make sure to use a new gasket and make sure the surface area is clean and flush before fitting. Check the seal on the master cylinder too and make sure that's all good.

21 hours ago, Nebulous said:

I have the Apico metal dimpled plates with Elf HTX740syn.  Very smooth and progressive. A real clutch , not an on/off switch.

This is all the mont needs to fix the clutch problem.