Silencer repack

bondy

Hello All can some 1 tell me witch packing do you use to repack the sy silencer? Pad tho or the loose stuff? Also is it worth doing the bike is running ok I've just striped it down to clean the carb and I've flushed the exhaust I've put a brand New front pipe on it also.

Hello peter B thanks for the Reply I was just inquiring but now you said it the bike is Quiet so ill leave it ive  cleaned the exhaust out and I have a brand new front pipe so am putting that on cheers Bondy.:thumbup:

If you want to do it use the loose stuff which is easier to apply, you can also easier determine the quantity you need. The quantity depends of course to the volume of the muffler / xhaust you want to repack.

With the pads, these are made for a certain diameter or thickness and might not always fit so well to every type of silencer / muffler as there are geometric differences.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In a similar vein, does anyone have any tips or pics on SY silencer repacking? I originally planned to cut a window in the side to repack and then cover it with a new aluminium sheet, but I've been told this is a bad idea. New silencers are no longer available it seems.

The silencer was very dented in on my Sons bike, I cut it open along top and bottom seams and 2/3 across front from tail pipe. straightened out, did partial repack and tig welded back together and is much better looking & sounding. If your gonna open it up, I suggest you take the extra time and effort to open it completely and clean it out fully as the remaining sludge and oil will get hot and ''gas'' on you and can make welding up a pain. 

Somewhere on the internet, there is a set of photos about accomplishing this.  I thought they were linked on the laptop but apparently not.  I searched quickly with no luck.  I think the guy is from Italy that did the repack.

20 hours ago, pauls320 said:

The silencer was very dented in on my Sons bike, I cut it open along top and bottom seams and 2/3 across front from tail pipe. straightened out, did partial repack and tig welded back together and is much better looking & sounding. If your gonna open it up, I suggest you take the extra time and effort to open it completely and clean it out fully as the remaining sludge and oil will get hot and ''gas'' on you and can make welding up a pain. 

My hope was that I could cut a window rather than splitting the thing in half. That way I could use rivets or screws and castle nuts to attach a new sheet of aluminium over the hole rather than welding the thing back up. The benefit of this is that if I needed to repack it again in a year or two it would be much easier.

The drawback is, I think, that extracting the old packing and putting the new stuff in would be more difficult and maybe impractical.

15 hours ago, pmk said:

Somewhere on the internet, there is a set of photos about accomplishing this.  I thought they were linked on the laptop but apparently not.  I searched quickly with no luck.  I think the guy is from Italy that did the repack.

That would be extremely useful if you remember where you saw it. I've had a look but I can't find any information or pictures.

Be interesting to see the set of photos of this modification... The internals of the oem muffler are such that it would be impossible to cut a window/hatch out of one side to repack the whole thing as its constructed like a big sandwich. There is no internal pipe with perforations with packing wrapped around it. Its got the exterior walls with two layers of perforated thin aluminum sheet that is stamped to have a passage for exhaust to pass down the middle with packing on both sides...and then welded together with the tail pipe bung on the end. ..one other option for you, Ya might want to look into adapting a silencer from a small mx bike that is repackable in place of the original? or one from an older GG?

17 hours ago, Yambo said:

That would be extremely useful if you remember where you saw it. I've had a look but I can't find any information or pictures.

I have been looking for it, just no luck yet.

Edited by pmk