2006 4/RT - Heat Shield, Header Pipe

pacificnw1

Greetings - I "trail" ride my 06 and have burned the back side of the knee out of two pairs of pants on the header pipe before the shield.

A common wisdom cure is the hope - the new ones have a longer shield I noticed.  Likely a new location for the mount as well.

Ideas Pics appreciated - and thanks too for reading!

Thanks Jonnyc21 - it's a 2006 RT/4 250F and it comes with a very short heat shield on the header pipe.  A good quality, clamp on, aftermarket, flexible cage is what I was thinking. 

I will give Dennis @ Overland a call.  Staying on the pegs is the easy answer but to improve - you gotta burn some pants!

Longer carbon fibre parts are available aftermarket that just bolt on.

I have made one from some ally tube cut in half - picked up on the rear  hole for existing guard and then a spring clip (broom holder type clip) to keep it in position at the rear but you could maybe weld a nut onto the silencer clamp.

Cuts some slots in it in a similar style to existing steel guard and looked trick  

Thanks for the helpful replies and photo.  My issue was in front of the bike - behind the forks trying to save a crash/endo.

I ended up shielding my pants.  I had a leather patch added to the crotch of the knee (can I say that...?) and will find a new line down that hill, continue to learn and keep my feet on the pegs always, amen.

STEEP Muddy downhill switchback (choke) and I melted my pants on the exhaust "U" bend, right off the cylinder.  There was so much melted Klim pant cloth up there it looked like oil on the pipe - but there was no smoke.  

I got small tattoo as a memento and a $70 bill to add glove leather behind the right knee on to two pair of riding pants.  Maybe I should use the money towards some fromal trials training!

Edited by pacificnw1