Montesa 4rt new running in

pumacad

I been lucky enough to buy a new 4rt .Do i have to run the engine in and if so what have you guys done to make sure it the right way to do it .I guess i will have to drop the oil after hour or 2 running any advice i be most most grateful 

Owners manual is a bit vague regarding running in and when to change the oil etc

"Operate the motorcycle for the first 20 minutes using not more than half throttle and shifting gears so that the engine does not lug"

In the maintenance schedule it says to replace engine oil and oil filter after the first break in period and also to check valve clearances too.

However I can't find any specification to the actual length of the break in period.

I rode mine on and off for approx 2hrs then changed engine oil, gearbox oil and oil filter

I did check the valve clearances after a few more hours running and was surprised to find that they were smaller than specified, which is the opposite of what I expected

Edited by ourian

1 hour ago, ourian said:

Owners manual is a bit vague regarding running in and when to change the oil etc

"Operate the motorcycle for the first 20 minutes using not more than half throttle and shifting gears so that the engine does not lug"

In the maintenance schedule it says to replace engine oil and oil filter after the first break in period and also to check valve clearances too.

However I can't find any specification to the actual length of the break in period.

I rode mine on and off for approx 2hrs then changed engine oil, gearbox oil and oil filter

I did check the valve clearances after a few more hours running and was surprised to find that they were smaller than specified, which is the opposite of what I expected

As valves bed in to their seats I think you would expect clearance to close up??