ty80 forks

mr-belcher

Hi people, my lads mini ty80 fronts forks are in need of Re chroming ,  not a problem- but not cheap, has any one grafted the very available pw50 forks onto a ty80, the pw forks come up 21mm but I think the ty are wider? A will have to get a micrometer one day but just thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone wants to save me work of hours of research. 

I don't know if they would fit but 1992 PW80 forks were very smooth with nice dampening.  I assume all PW80 forks are the same.   Looking on line, they even sell Chinese copies for very low prices but the OEM Yamaha ones were surprisingly good for such an entry level bike.  As I remember the front brake was good also.

I found this at http://www.pro50parts.com/buy/pw221-pw80-front-fork-set/PW221   

• Size Spec: 63.50cm in Length, 26mm in fork leg diameter, 10mm in wheel axle.
  •                Leg Diameter -- 26.0mm/34.3mm    

The same site has dimensions for PW50 forks.

Cheers guys, the pw50 are way too short feet up fun,  but the pw80 look really close, length is about right and with a quick tape measure rhe ty forks came up about 25mm so pw80 at 26mm is dam close, very little mod needed- the location of the spindle is off set in front of the forks where as the ty is in line  at the end of the fork leg so how much this may alter the trail and rake I'm not sure but dam close, cheers mcman56, see if I can source a UK supplier,  stripping forks is something I've not attempted and bit wary of- Iknow you guys don't need me to say this but ty80 what a beautiful bike for a kid to learn on, my dad never got me one in the 70s and getting this for my lad is as much for me as for him,. Cheers all much help.

• 3 months later...