1985 RTL 250s Front Fork Seal Replacement

slip_kid

I am attempting a front fork seal replacement. I have the Honda service manual, but the procedure isn't covered in it. I've done some internet searching, but there appears to be nothing. There are enough RTLs out there you'd think there would be something I could find?

The problem I'm having is the stanchion tube will not come out of the lower leg. There seems to be something connected to the bottom of the stanchion tube that stops the tube from coming out. Whatever it is seems to be contacting the backside of something, I'm guessing the fork seal?

If you peer in you see something that is a part of the stanchion tube (it rotates with the stanchion tube), looking like something requiring a tool to fit it. Something like this  Super B Freewheel Remover - 4 Notch (this is just a bicycle freewheel tool) only made to fit whatever I'm looking at?    

Whatever this object is it is not on the parts list. The other odd thing is the oil lock (51432-KE1-003) is on the back side (in the bottom) rattling around with no way to come out until the stanchion is first retracted from the fork leg. The parts list seems to suggest this oil lock is just under the rebound spring, but that's not the case

This could be a occasional occurrence, but I've not yet disassembled the other side to see if it will present the same issue.

If someone with specific experience could reply I would greatly appreciate it. If this is a fitting of some type (screwed into the stanchion) requiring a Honda tool or other I'd also appreciate that information. Better yet if the fitting has a part number (and it's available) that's the next best thing. 

Thank you in advance.

,In the hours since I posted this I began thinking my observations are wrong. After more thought things began to not seem likely.

So I did a bit more work and found the following:

Working on the other side, to the same degree of disassembly, got the same results. The stanchions won't slide out of the lower legs.

I was able to carefully remove the old wipers and found the seals are apparently retained by a large (now rusty) flat circlip. The correct pliers removed both clips.

This now has me thinking the seals are not held by friction as is sometimes (usually?) the case. If the spring circlips were not steel and now rusty, the old seals might only be held by a sort of drop in like fit. Rather than inject terminology at this point I'll just say I began wondering if the design is intended for a tool less repair?

The bottom fork leg bolt unscrewed and the damping rod did not need to be held (by some tool) as is the usual case. As odd as my original observations are, things are beginning to make sense if Honda designed the leg and stanchion to pull the old seal out? Like a slide hammer arrangement.

I'm wondering if I should use a bit of force. Is something striking the backside of the seal, will the seal come out with a few good hits? Or will I ruin something for good?

Another observation: There isn't any evidence that the seals have ever been replaced. What are the odds unless these are a drop in fit?

Edited by slip_kid
  • Like 1

I soaked the top of the seal with a penetrant overnight and logged on in the morning to see these replies. I heated things up using a heat gun and with minor work the seal gave way and out came the parts.

Question for either of you two or anyone reading with a bit of knowledge. Guide bushing is likely the one you refer to (51414469003)? In the owner manual no part # is referenced. The part is there, but w/o a part number. On the CMS web site that part is shown below the back up ring (the part preventing the stanchions from separating from the lower leg?) and is list 7-1. The stanchion has a similar bushing that stayed on. It is mounted to the very bottom of the stanchion. It looks similar to the guide bushing. It would have to be smaller than the guide bushing. Is it replaceable? Does anyone know the number or if it's available? .

Just looked at their site.  Fig. 7-1 is the guide bushing.  Fig. 10 is the oil lock that fits over the lower end of the damper rod.  I guess I'm not seeing what other bushing you are talking about.

If that bike gets to be a pain to work on or find parts for (especially in North America), you can always send it down here.  I'd be happy to help out.

Of course you may not get it back.......:rolleyes:

I know the part is not shown and it likely is designed to last as long as the bike is expected to last . . . one season of competition?

It does not look to show as much wear as the guide bushings (different material) so it's not as much a worry, but here's a photo just the same.

bushing.jpg.11b88b1b86055d1f2059cc60e5f0d219.jpg

My next concern is the headstock bearings. What are people using as replacements??