Beginning of the end?

timp

I dont think so. I think we may be seeing the side effects of a reduction in practice following his back injury, surely he cant have been doing as much as he usually does in the build up to a season, and its too coincidental to be anything else. Nonetheless, its better for the sport not to have a dominant winner all the time.

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

Bou aside, I have to say Fajardo's Saturday ride was inspired. He got Raga by 12 marks, which was quite something. Hopefully he can put it together a few more times this year. Busto on Sunday had a great second lap which gave him the edge over a very consistent Bou.

I suspect the lingering back injury and lack of practice time are the biggest contributors to Bou not winning as per the norm, but often at this level it just takes one small hint of weakness for rivals to force their way in and start to exert more consistent pressure. I'd love it if we saw a regular battle for the top 4 spots.

10 hours ago, neils on wheels said:

I don’t think you can conclude anything from one weekends result.

Yes I can,

I conclude they are all better riders than I.................:facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Perhaps a little low on confidence due to the injury....made a mistake in quali in Spain that ultimately didn't affect him but then the same again in Japan that did albeit not due to the early start number as Fajardo proved on Sat. Bit of extra pressure in front of the Honda bosses too!

On 04/06/2018 at 4:53 PM, heffergm said:

Bou aside, I have to say Fajardo's Saturday ride was inspired. He got Raga by 12 marks, which was quite something. Hopefully he can put it together a few more times this year. Busto on Sunday had a great second lap which gave him the edge over a very consistent Bou.

I suspect the lingering back injury and lack of practice time are the biggest contributors to Bou not winning as per the norm, but often at this level it just takes one small hint of weakness for rivals to force their way in and start to exert more consistent pressure. I'd love it if we saw a regular battle for the top 4 spots.

Early number trial so Fajardo was lucky rather than inspired, to do badly in qualifying. I wonder if Colomer said get a move on?

Bou may have struggled with the grip of the 4rt for the first time in along time.

I saw the Camprodon round on tv and the bike looked like it engaged reverse on one section.

On 6/6/2018 at 6:52 AM, nigel dabster said:

Early number trial so Fajardo was lucky rather than inspired, to do badly in qualifying. I wonder if Colomer said get a move on?

Bou may have struggled with the grip of the 4rt for the first time in along time.

I saw the Camprodon round on tv and the bike looked like it engaged reverse on one section.

Bou didn't qualify well either, he dropped a mark. Not as bad as Fajardo, but he started 13th. So I don't buy it. Fajardo rode well. 

I don't think you can call it the beginning of the end, although the pressure must be higher for Bou than in previous years.  However, he's clearly not just a tremendous rider but also a fantastic sportsman and I think is very capable of dealing with pressure.  He often says what Dougie used to say about preferring difficult trials so that he can exploit his advantages more.

Just watched the TrialGP coverage.  Few of my thoughts...

• Good on Fajardo for winning.  Don't know why people are dismissive of him, he looked pretty humble and grateful for his win to me.  His scoresheet was very impressive, I don't think it's any more complicated that he just had a really good ride and kept his nerve.
  • Bou still looked like the most accomplished rider.  His cleans were tidier than Fajardo's and Busto's.  He did admit that his confidence is lower since the back injury, and I can understand that as you get older.  Dibs and Fuji have both mentioned they have to pay more attention to physical conditioning these days to prevent injury.
  • I still don't think Busto takes it 100% seriously yet.  Technically he can be very effective, but it's either all or nothing and he's not the most tactical of riders.  Raga's competitive attitude will allow him to keep Busto at bay for a while longer.  Also, Busto isn't really offering anything new to the riding-style; he's basically just a younger Toni.  Compared to Tarres, Dougie and Bou (who all reinvented the riding style for their generation) I don't think Busto is offering anything progressive.  If he does end up dominating I don't think it will be for as long as Toni has.  He hasn't struggled with the move from Honda to GG as much as I thought he would.
  • I really hope Cabes get's some good places.  He's still such a talented rider and seems like a good sport also, so I hope he get's a couple of the results he's hoping for.

Just my opinions.  Really enjoying the media coverage from Jitsie and TrialGP and hope it continues in this direction.

• Like 3

On 6/7/2018 at 3:57 PM, worlez said:

I don't think you can call it the beginning of the end, although the pressure must be higher for Bou than in previous years.  However, he's clearly not just a tremendous rider but also a fantastic sportsman and I think is very capable of dealing with pressure.  He often says what Dougie used to say about preferring difficult trials so that he can exploit his advantages more.

Just watched the TrialGP coverage.  Few of my thoughts...

• Good on Fajardo for winning.  Don't know why people are dismissive of him, he looked pretty humble and grateful for his win to me.  His scoresheet was very impressive, I don't think it's any more complicated that he just had a really good ride and kept his nerve.
  • Bou still looked like the most accomplished rider.  His cleans were tidier than Fajardo's and Busto's.  He did admit that his confidence is lower since the back injury, and I can understand that as you get older.  Dibs and Fuji have both mentioned they have to pay more attention to physical conditioning these days to prevent injury.
  • I still don't think Busto takes it 100% seriously yet.  Technically he can be very effective, but it's either all or nothing and he's not the most tactical of riders.  Raga's competitive attitude will allow him to keep Busto at bay for a while longer.  Also, Busto isn't really offering anything new to the riding-style; he's basically just a younger Toni.  Compared to Tarres, Dougie and Bou (who all reinvented the riding style for their generation) I don't think Busto is offering anything progressive.  If he does end up dominating I don't think it will be for as long as Toni has.  He hasn't struggled with the move from Honda to GG as much as I thought he would.
  • I really hope Cabes get's some good places.  He's still such a talented rider and seems like a good sport also, so I hope he get's a couple of the results he's hoping for.

Just my opinions.  Really enjoying the media coverage from Jitsie and TrialGP and hope it continues in this direction.

I agree with all your points and think your opinions are valid. Bou, like Doug used to, excel when the trials are tougher, they tend to step up a gear, which is what goes towards what makes them great champions. I think inevitably Busto will succeed Bou, or at least its shaping up that way. But I don't think Bou is done just yet, failing a serious injury I think he will continue to fight for and win championships for the next couple of years yet. 

On 07/06/2018 at 12:32 PM, heffergm said:

Bou didn't qualify well either, he dropped a mark. Not as bad as Fajardo, but he started 13th. So I don't buy it. Fajardo rode well. 

i didnt say he didnt ride well just that he got a move on, bou didnt. all part of trials.