MAJESTY questions

pmk

Always liked the looks of those bikes.  Never seen one in person and not even sure if many made it to the USA.  How do they compare to the production bikes of the same ERA, such as the TY and MAR, plus more.

If I recall correctly, MAJESTY stands for - Mick Andrews, John E Shirt, TY  it was the brain child of Mick Andrews and Yamaha importer (at the time) John Shirt Senior. I believe it was a stock TY that was modified & improved by these two guys, more power, different geometry, different seat & tank... 

Mick was heavily involved with the Yamaha factory and John was the UK Yamaha importer both form the Derbyshire area 

I could be wrong, somebody with more knowledge of the history of Majesty will correct me. I was just a school boy rider at the time and was getting coaching from Mick and my father was friends with John so I'm just going off my memory from when I was a young lad.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pmk said:

Always liked the looks of those bikes.  Never seen one in person and not even sure if many made it to the USA.  How do they compare to the production bikes of the same ERA, such as the TY and MAR, plus more.

Info on how to convert to majesty spec :-

https://plus.google.com/photos/109171438807732712015/albums/5694268572989036097/5695714225111077714?banner=pwa&pid=5694606578210398034&oid=109171438807732712015

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1

Some made their way into the States.  I got a chance to parking lot ride a 175 Majesty a few years ago.  Nifty and different (especially here), but I didn't ride it enough to compare it to anything.  They'll pop up on Fleabay and Craig's from time to time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Still a few 175s & 250s being ridden in my local classic trials. 

One totally unrestored and still the original owner. 

It's good to see them getting used and haven't become trailer queens like so many old bikes. 

Edited by shakennstirred
  • Like 2

If you have deep pockets, get Yamaha-majesty.com to build you a new (well, 90% new) one.

Converting a regular TY isn't too horrible, but having additional changes beside the original can make them feel very much like a modern bike ... my TY is partly majesty-fied, it weighs 4Kg less than stock and handles very similarly to the 2004 TxT Pro I used to have.

• Like 1

On 07/06/2018 at 11:05 AM, Intotrials said:

If I recall correctly, MAJESTY stands for - Mick Andrews, John E Shirt, TY  it was the brain child of Mick Andrews and Yamaha importer (at the time) John Shirt Senior. I believe it was a stock TY that was modified & improved by these two guys, more power, different geometry, different seat & tank... 

Mick was heavily involved with the Yamaha factory and John was the UK Yamaha importer both form the Derbyshire area 

I could be wrong, somebody with more knowledge of the history of Majesty will correct me. I was just a school boy rider at the time and was getting coaching from Mick and my father was friends with John so I'm just going off my memory from when I was a young lad.  

Mitsui at Oakcroft Road Chessington were the Official Yamaha Importers, at least that’s where all my new stock (including the TY range) came from. John Shirt didn’t import Yamaha’s he would have to get his stock from Mitsui, as far as I know. Nice chap to deal with and a nice chap to meet to. Fowler’s of Bristol supplied the M/X and IT enduro Yamaha’s in a dealer/ distributor agreement ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, section swept said:

Mitsui at Oakcroft Road Chessington were the Official Yamaha Importers, at least that’s where all my new stock (including the TY range) came from. John Shirt didn’t import Yamaha’s he would have to get his stock from Mitsui, as far as I know. Nice chap to deal with and a nice chap to meet to. Fowler’s of Bristol supplied the M/X and IT enduro Yamaha’s in a dealer/ distributor agreement ?

Right, yes thanks for the correction, John was a Yamaha dealer. I remember Mitsui :)