Montesa breather set up

gaz12349

Hi all. I'd like some advice on the breather system on my 2005 4rt. The previous owner must have binned off the white plastic catch tank thats fitted under the headstock. He's relocated the pipe from the left hand side of the cylinder head to the airbox. Theirs another pipe going from the right hand side of the cylinder head to the injector and a transmission breather that is just pointing down where the swing arm and rear shock is. It doesn't quite look correct to me. How should it be set up as i can't find much info on it in the manual. 

Cheers,

Gaz.

Check the owners manual, pages 2-12 through 2-18 for the standard routing of the crankcase and gearbox breathers. If the crankcase breather ends up going into the airbox port, it may be better to put the catch tank back to reduce the chance of oil going back into the airbox. Some people plug the airbox port and leave a hanging breather end, like the gearbox breather. This guarantees you won't dump oil in the airbox, but on the other hand means you may get dirt / water sucked into the head. Personally, I run mine standard and haven't had any problems. There's also a clear drain cap on the bottom of the airbox. You can look at that and if there's water or oil in the cap, just pull it and let the airbox drain, then put it back on.

The tube running from the intake port to the injector assembly is a vacuum hose for the pressure regulator on 2005-2015 bikes. Only thing to do there is make sure it has no leaks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sportsawyer said:

Check the owners manual, pages 2-12 through 2-18 for the standard routing of the crankcase and gearbox breathers. If the crankcase breather ends up going into the airbox port, it may be better to put the catch tank back to reduce the chance of oil going back into the airbox. Some people plug the airbox port and leave a hanging breather end, like the gearbox breather. This guarantees you won't dump oil in the airbox, but on the other hand means you may get dirt / water sucked into the head. Personally, I run mine standard and haven't had any problems. There's also a clear drain cap on the bottom of the airbox. You can look at that and if there's water or oil in the cap, just pull it and let the airbox drain, then put it back on.

The tube running from the intake port to the injector assembly is a vacuum hose for the pressure regulator on 2005-2015 bikes. Only thing to do there is make sure it has no leaks.

Thanks for the clear information. I've been rebuilding the bike completely, I replaced the old airbox drain cap with a sherco one as the old one went rock hard. Im almost finished building the bike I just noticed it was missing this strage tank and the pipes where just left up at the headstock. I'll have to order a strage tank. I'm guessing the transmission breather goes into the strage tank too?

1 hour ago, gaz12349 said:

Surely that will pull water into the transmission?

Probably not. The transmission is separate on 4RTs and doesn't breath like the crankcase. It just expands/contracts the internal air a little as the motor heats/cools, and the transmission breather prevents +/- pressure on seals. The transmission breather also is routed up high from the gearbox joint, runs back along the side of the frame left of the TB/ECU, and then drops down.

Edited by sportsawyer