Advice on buying a Vertigo

Ollie125

I'm currently looking at a Vertigo Ice Hell 300 and i was wondering if it would be too powerful and too difficult to maintain by myself. I am a 6ft, 11St, 16 year old who is riding at a good green - course level at all clubs. Do people think it would be too powerful even if it had really low gears and on mapping setting 3? Any advice would be really useful ?

I would have a ride down to Cloburn on 30th June, they're having a BBQ and test day. Tom at Cloburn will give you some advice as that's what he rides. Worst case scenario - sausage in a bun. They are a powerful bike, a 250 might be better.

8 minutes ago, theluckyone said:

I would have a ride down to Cloburn on 30th June, they're having a BBQ and test day. Tom at Cloburn will give you some advice as that's what he rides. Worst case scenario - sausage in a bun. They are a powerful bike, a 250 might be better.

That sounds perfect to me, been wanting to go down there for a while now and this is the perfect opportunity. I’ll put it on the calendar. Thanks!

Well that's the first Noel Coward reference I've seen on this site. I did look at covering some of his songs but found the lyrical content a little out of step with the modern world. I did try the one about Brexit which starts off " They're out of sorts in Sunderland and terribly cross in Kent"  Its on t'ytube

• Like 1

Only way to tell is to ride them. Chris always goes for the 300 as he prefers to have the oomph available and he can control the Power on the throttle. He warms the bike up using the softer maps before riding on Map 1 and 4 once the bike is warm. They do engine brake but the newer the model the less they do it. Latest is that it can be dialled out if you use the App and the Get injection. The original Camos were a bit more temperamental but the later the better. The Ice Hell is slightly better balanced, The Fajardo is a great bike if you like throwing it around and the engine mapping moved the game on, the DL replica is better if you are a steady rider. The engines a bit flat for my son. They are pretty reliable but you still need to maintain the usual suspects, bearings, pads etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2018 at 12:34 PM, telecat said:

Only way to tell is to ride them. Chris always goes for the 300 as he prefers to have the oomph available and he can control the Power on the throttle. He warms the bike up using the softer maps before riding on Map 1 and 4 once the bike is warm. They do engine brake but the newer the model the less they do it. Latest is that it can be dialled out if you use the App and the Get injection. The original Camos were a bit more temperamental but the later the better. The Ice Hell is slightly better balanced, The Fajardo is a great bike if you like throwing it around and the engine mapping moved the game on, the DL replica is better if you are a steady rider. The engines a bit flat for my son. They are pretty reliable but you still need to maintain the usual suspects, bearings, pads etc.

They look like great bikes and the seem to ride like a dream, there is just so many different bikes that vary due to age and model it must be down to personal preference at the end of the day surely? I’ll try and tast a range of the bikes available in my price range. Thank you so much for the advice 

12 hours ago, Nebulous said:

My latest info states that the Fajardo mapping makes for much easier starting on the post Jan 2017 bikes - requiring less of a kick to fire-up.   Battery-less conversions are still available for pre-Jan 2017 bikes - at a low-cost at your dealer.  The Fajardo maps should then be available to you at that point.

I say “latest info” , but it appears I’m well behind - since Vertigo released pics of the 2019 bikes a month ago!

Thank you so much for the advice, i’m still looking for the right bike in my price range and hopefully take it from there but the 2017 models are sounding like the best bet for me 

hum Nebulous  wonder why the phones ringing non stop from people wanting to sell  hardly used vertigos ? if they are that great !, Have you ever rode one for yourself ?. After reading your montesa novel  just wonder how you can tell someone how and what the bike needs to sort it out. Im sure  vertigo will be on the phone soon for help  

22 hours ago, on it said:

hum Nebulous  wonder why the phones ringing non stop from people wanting to sell  hardly used vertigos ? if they are that great !, Have you ever rode one for yourself ?. After reading your montesa novel  just wonder how you can tell someone how and what the bike needs to sort it out. Im sure  vertigo will be on the phone soon for help  

Always happens. Some decide they don't like them, others its an impulse purchase or chasing their youth. Some people just like to try the latest thing and go back to their old favourite. My son tries to change once a year. Given the "Special" this year wasn't the bike he likes to ride he'll be waiting to see if the 2019 is close and tweak it.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2018 at 12:29 AM, Nebulous said:

They were. I told them the only way to stop the rot was to release an £8k “Platinum” Ltd edition - to rival the TRS Gold ltd.  My other advice was to set up a map-sharing exchange on their website.  At least to give a platform for GET-ecu setting-adjustments to be published , with comments from developers.  We discussed the introduction of a gimmicky electric-start - dispensing with the ugly kickstart and only adding 5lbs total weight. We also talked about firing that electric-start from smart-devices.  Hacking of the GET device was spoken of.   Oh , and for the first time ever , releasing a bike with no decals - instead having a swirled-oil effect impregnating the plastics , complete with live DNA of Doug Lampkin and their other top-riders mixed into the finish.  With matching iPad covers and all accessories of course ( but without the blood!).

So , the 2020 Vertigo Platinum DNA Remote.  

Got to admit a sharing platform for GET maps is a good idea. Like a stopped clock you can be right some of the time...............

4 hours ago, Nebulous said:

One benefit of the above would have been the recent Andorra trial - at which the Vertigo struggled.   The mechanics could have up-loaded the ECU’s readings to the factory , and they could have simulated those conditions in a wind-tunnel - formulating a suitable map to apply to the bikes , for those conditions.

The possibility to really up their game is there.  When you look back to the 2016 releases , and compare them to what has currently been offered - not much has changed.  So when you consider a Ducati-style framed bike with a central fuel-tank and a low centre of gravity , is the basic design. Then what else has been achieved in 3 years?  The revelation that the magnesium crankcase is now not strong enough , and needs to be changed for the new alloy model - this , to me , is suspect - rather than being seen as a positive concienscious development.  In the world of Baby-seats - the recalls and court-cases would have resulted in bankrupcy long ago. And still people scoff at my views.  However , the option of having your original engine number stamped into your new crankcasing does cushion the blow somewhat , for any potential investors.

Have Vertigo Recalled the bikes with Magnesium Crankcases then? If that's true that's Very poor on there part as the People that paid the extra for there bikes over the standard ones have to be told they need a standard crankcase.. 

17 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

There has been no recall.  It’s a warranty job if it happens to crack , due to a fault in design. Otherwise it’s £1,500 outside of warranty.  The 2018 change to black alloy wasn’t a cosmetic decision.  Anyone who bought an original or 2017 Titanium-R to keep in a glass-case will be pleased to know that their bikes have become worth somewhat less as a result of this.

The bikes with the magnesium crankcases were 2017 bikes and are well out of warranty now then..

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2018 at 12:41 AM, Nebulous said:

I can put you in touch with a very clean , hardly used April 2017 Ice Hell 250 from near Newcastle , under £3,8k. Lovely bike.  But they are out there , if you look carefully and take your time.  Put the feelers out - I posted a wanted ad , and the phone didn’t stop ringing!

Once you decide a cut-off point , which for me would be to ignore anything made before Jan 2017 - then the options narrow somewhat.  If we also decide to ignore the 2018 crop (which will be £5k +minimum) - then that gives an easy set of options to consider.    If your budget can’t extend to a Titanium-R - then the only choice for performance would be the IceHell. It simply is better than the Camo.   300 versions do not command as high a price as 250 versions - due to basic novice/intermediate desirability.  All this is definitely sub £4k talk.

Is that Ice Hell still available, or is it the one that came and went off eBay before I got chance to pick up the phone?! Thanks for putting all this info out there. I’ve got 4 - 4.5k to spend on a bike and i’m very keen to pick up a 17 Ice Hell 250. 

I suppose the problem with supply of used Vertigos is that people actually have to buy new Vertigos in order for them to become secondhand Vertigos.  I think I could count on my left digits the number I have seen or heard of in "private" hands.  Is there a less popular marque on the current market?  I don't count Jgas as being on the market.