New challenges ...

Badgravity

So - long story incredibly short - I have never owned/driven motorcycle and I bought Sherco 290 (2008) 

Most of my hobbies have been last 15 Years around radio controlled cars, quadcopters and lately helicopters.

wish me luck :)

I believe trials riding is the best introduction to off road motorcycle riding you can do.  Established trials riders can go on to be master all forms of off roading, the likes of former British champion Graham Jarvis as a prime example. 

Trials riding refines your motorbiking skills, such as balance, throttle control, clutch and brake control learning to feel the bike and reacting to it.... In fact many if not most of the top riders in disciplines like moto x and enduro all train on a trials bike as part of their training routines.

Also the beauty of trials is -  its relatively safe (low speed) and also one of the cheapest forms of motor sport you can do.  

My only advice to you would be that a 290cc trials bike can be a handful, especially for a beginner (I'm not trying to put you off) it can just be a bit scary at first (though the 2008 model will be a lot softer than a more modern version). I would probably have recommended you try out something like a 125 - 200 to start with they can be a lot of fun and won't pull your arms off. 

Good luck & I hope you have lots of fun riding!!

1 hour ago, Badgravity said:

Thanks guys for support.

No lanyard kill switch - just a tiny red kill button, also no trial boots yet and pegs are pretty dull and rounded - maybe sharpen them with angle grinder ?

Yes, grinder or file - you may need to add weld to build up the teeth if badly worn.  Ensure the rests don't droop, ideally they should be just above the horizontal when viewed from front or rear. You can't ride properly if you are trying to stop your feet sliding off angled pegs.

• Like 1

From my extremely limited experience with trials, a whole 4 hours so far, I found it really hard work but hugely rewarding and loads of fun. 

I too recently bought a Trials bike to trian come core skills that I know will be applicable to enduro, dirt in general and road riding. 

you think your machine control is good... then you ride a trials bike! 

Have fun, try new things and the best part is if you fall off you'll probably only be doing about 5mph. 

• Like 1

Damn this thing is fun but hard ... 30 minutes adjusted carb and researched how petcock works ... then the riding - palms were sore after 15 minutes :)

Also clutch lever ... should be usable with one finger and it is ... just how the hell i do not pinch other fingers - always had to move fingers out of the way and grab the lever.

And thanks guys for holding me up ;)

11 hours ago, Badgravity said:

Damn this thing is fun but hard ... 30 minutes adjusted carb and researched how petcock works ... then the riding - palms were sore after 15 minutes :)

Also clutch lever ... should be usable with one finger and it is ... just how the hell i do not pinch other fingers - always had to move fingers out of the way and grab the lever.

And thanks guys for holding me up ;)

Hi there you're clutch should ideally clear before the lever reaches you're spare fingers. you can likely adjust it with some fine tuning but if you're really green get someone who knows there stuff to set it up or it could cost you a clutch.

Neb's right too a shorty lever might be the answer.

Also sounds like you're gripping the bike too tightly, most beginners do this and it takes a bit of time to learn how to relax.

Have fun.