2004 TXT 250 Pro, fluids

Broadburner

Just bought a 2004 TXT 250 and am in the process of serving the bike so it runs as well as it can. 

I want to change all the fluids in the machine so I have a basemark to work from with future servicing.

Wondered what people are using in terms of clutch, break and gearbox fluids. 

Also, slight trouble finding neutral, could this be down to bad gearbox oil?

Thanks all

Dot 4 in the brakes. Atf around 400 cc. I think that only the Raga went to mineral oil in the clutch in 04. The clutch cap should be green for mineral oil. Double check the year of the bike. It is usually hard to find nuetral while running.

5 hours ago, lineaway said:

Dot 4 in the brakes. Atf around 400 cc. I think that only the Raga went to mineral oil in the clutch in 04. The clutch cap should be green for mineral oil. Double check the year of the bike. It is usually hard to find nuetral while running.

I use Motul RBF 600 in my road bike, which is Dot 4, I did my brakes recently on my CBR so I think I have some left. 

The frame number indicates it's 03, but the bike is definitely and 04. So likely built in 03 but is an 04 model. The exhaust bend and clutch cover are different on the 03, so after perusing previous models on GasGas I identified it.  

But finding info on fluids is, well, in the manual it only lists the fork oil and sump oil, which is 10w40 but in the spec sheet - also from gasgas - it says 10w30. So either one should be ok I think.  

Mostly I just wanted to make sure I'm dropping in the right juice. Mix is 1.5% as well, which seems a little lean 15ml/1000ml, but I'm sure a 2% (20ml/1000ml 50:1) would be fine.  

5 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

No . 70/1 is correct. Which is around 15ml per 1000 ml.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2014-beta-evo-80-full-size-adventure.1048723/

That thead has all you need to know about oils and clutches. Around page 3 onward.

Finding neutral is like making love to a beautiful woman..........              “First” - you push until you feel a positive click.  Then you lift her up - and gently snick it in!

Sorry got my ratios a*** about face, yes you're right, a 1.5% is 70:1. (15ml/1000ml)

I treat her nicely... haha

2 hours ago, oni nou said:

or an alternative is to use ATF Dexron III this is like water and will give a fast action clutch like an on/off switch which

I feel like I might drop it a lot more than I already do if I made my clutch an on/off drive switch. I like a progressive engagement, being a complete novice. I'm gonna loop it enough as it is! haha

fuel oil mix 80:1 normally[save yourself some money on oil] it does not need to be 70:1 the crank bearings run in gearbox oil] You can run at 100:1 if you want to and there will be no problems people have been running 100::1 since the 90's so its well proven not to be a problem......80:1 does not sound like too little oil when you know about that.

Thanks for the advice on that. I'm still pretty new to 2smokers so that nugget of know-how is very handy. 

Gearbox/ clutch is 75w light gear oil [Putoline/Rockoil/Ipone Maxima.etc that will give a smooth action in clutch take up and gear changes

That's inserting as the manual states a 10w40/10w30 motorcycle oil for use in the sump. And usual Dot spec hydraulic fluid for the brakes/clutch, 

Don't get confused with 4 stroke terms, there is no sump oil, only gearbox/clutch oil. The mains and big end get their lube from the petrol/oil miix, aside from clutch side main which is lubed by gearbox oil.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nebulous said:

The transmission and Clutch oil - also lubes the two MAIN Crank bearings.  So you may want to change that on a regular basis - which is why most use Dextron 111 ATF , since it is cheap - but use the Automatic type , as recommended by Gas Gas.  To get a different clutch-feel ( as Oni Nou says) - start to think about more expensive synthetics.     

Like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/181902747041?chn=ps&adgroupid=54713458289&rlsatarget=pla-413909074316&abcId=1133936&adtype=pla&merchantid=101474286&poi=&googleloc=1006755&device=c&campaignid=1057753394&crdt=0

12 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

I’ll be honest and say that I’d rather use Oni Nou’s gear oil.  But that’s mainly just to eliminate the risk of clutch-plate swelling.  Putoline semi 75w seems to be reasonably cheap.

I'll grab some of that then. Thanks for the recommendation and the help both

Edited by Broadburner