Which model/year 4rt is best and why?

gaz12349

As far as I am aware the only real changes came in 2009 with that year having different steering and a proper exhaust that did not have  bungs to play permutations with, then again with the introduction of the 260 (which I found a bit softer off the bottom than my 09 when I tried one).

If you ignore sticker changes there has not been much to report - perhaps they got it very nearly right the first time?

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

The 2014 bikes where a big leap forward with a new slimmer tank ,more power, I think they where lighter  Aswell?the reduced engine braking was also a massive improvement . Since 2014 I think the biggest improvement is on the 2016 onwards bikes that had a new fuel pump which made the bike a lot more powerful 

• Like 1

I would have to say that my order of best would start with the 300RR's on top, then the 2014 - current 260 Race Replica, next the 2014 - current Standard 260's, and then everything else.

However a well setup older bike like my 2007 can still be a very nice ride in comparison to a stock older bike.  It has custom setup suspension, fast throttle tube, and is the full power model.  I find it much nicer to ride than a couple of 05's I have been on as well as its stock setup, after the updates.  

The why?

1) The 300's just seem to pull smother off the bottom, the twin map switch helps in the mud, the extra power feels great, and the suspension is just awesome.  

2) The Race Replica 260's have the same extra power over the older 250's, and the suspension is a touch nicer in my opinion than the standard, and well they just look cool.

3) Standard 260's have a nicer smother and more power than the older 4RT 250's

4) Custom setup older 4RT 250... well custom to you, who can say anything more than that.

5) Everything else is just well everything else.

Hope that helps.:thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I re-read my post and thout... I should have made a comparison comment on my 2017 300 RR and my 2007 4RT 250 and my riding buddies 2017 4RT 260.

in short, the differences are subtle between the 300 and the 260 if your not doing things like big hits or drop offs, with the lower end power being the most noticeable difference.  And suspension being the second. However the differences in power and suspension become more apparent when riding harder. 

The diffrence between the 2017 260 and the 2007 250 is power and suspension and is more noticeable unless you have had the suspension update, then it gets more subtle but still more pronounced than the 300 to 260 comparison.

hope that helps too.

FYI - I LOVE my Montesa 300 RR!  Best bike I have ever owned!

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Thanks 1