Road registering

Hi all, Nearly got the old M27 ready for a first firing so starting to think about getting the original reg number back. All I have documents wise is tax discs up to 1980 in tatty condition and the rear number plate with just the outline of the lettering which has long since peeled off. Photo attached.

I understand I will need to get an owners club to sign off that the bikes genuine but theres no Bultaco owners club so who do I go to? Anybody got advice on the pitfalls and perils I face?

Thanks, Pete

Taco rear view.jpg

Taco inc guards.jpg

As you have the registration number all you need to do is fill out this form (V62) and pay your £25.00. It can be downloaded from the DVLA site below...........  You don't need owners clubs or anything else as the bike already has a reg number.  They may even refund your £25.00 depending on the reason you give....  Simples.  

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-vehicle-registration-certificate

Edited by gasserguy

The registration no. is W?? 991F ? Have you done a DVLA vehicle enquiry to check if this number is on their computer system ?

If it is, you need simply to apply for a reg. document (V5C), stating that one was not handed to you at the time of purchase.

If it isn't on the system you will need a certificate verifying date of manufacture/make/model/capacity etc. I believe Inmotion/Bultaco UK are a DVLA-approved authority for this. The machine will then probably be given an age-related (non-transferable) reg. mark. (The fact that it has (or had) a reg. mark originally is no guarantee that you will be able to retain it, unless you can prove that the machine is of significant historical interest - I don't think that applies in this case) .....All as I understand it, but you could try ringing the DVLA, of course.

Overall, should be quite straight forward. 

Edited by lorenzo
Clarity

Hi, Thanks both for your advice. Although I know the number the only evidence I have is the old tax discs and numberplate - no docs. I've checked the DVLA site and it not on the system so looks like the next step is getting the form signed off by Inmotion. Thanks again for the guidance

Another Model 27. Quite a lot of this model seem to be surfacing these days!

I am assuming both pictures in your post are of your bike. That alloy tank and the seat/side panels are not original M27 but this should not be an issue.

Your original question regarding owners club.  As you are aware no recognised owners club.  In Motion are not approved by the DVLA despite being the experts on the marque. The VMCC is your best bet. They should be able to provide the necessary letters etc that the DVLA will accept. They will charge you for this. The frustrating thing about this is that the VMCC are not experts on Bultaco, they will contact In Motion get all the necessary information and put this on VMCC headed paper.

As you have original tax disc's and the number plate you stand a good chance of getting the original number back.If you agree to this being non transferable it is a lot easier as if you wish it to be transferable they will do a lot more checks and require more evidence to prove this is not just a scam to get the original number.

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

11 minutes ago, twinnshock said:

Another Model 27. Quite a lot of this model seem to be surfacing these days!

I am assuming both pictures in your post are of your bike. That alloy tank and the seat/side panels are not original M27 but this should not be an issue.

Your original question regarding owners club.  As you are aware no recognised owners club.  In Motion are not approved by the DVLA despite being the experts on the marque. The VMCC is your best bet. They should be able to provide the necessary letters etc that the DVLA will accept. They will charge you for this. The frustrating thing about this is that the VMCC are not experts on Bultaco, they will contact In Motion get all the necessary information and put this on VMCC headed paper.

As you have original tax disc's and the number plate you stand a good chance of getting the original number back.If you agree to this being non transferable it is a lot easier as if you wish it to be transferable they will do a lot more checks and require more evidence to prove this is not just a scam to get the original number.

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.

Stuart

The DVLA will accept Bultaco UK for dating letters even though they are not listed as an

owners club. The DVLA see them as a UK Bultaco original subsidiary....   But it's not a problem as the V62 will be fine as already stated. 

On 22/06/2018 at 12:21 PM, gasserguy said:

The DVLA will accept Bultaco UK for dating letters even though they are not listed as an

owners club. The DVLA see them as a UK Bultaco original subsidiary....   But it's not a problem as the V62 will be fine as already stated. 

I think the following will make me look like an anorack/quite pedantic but I am going to post it anyway.:lol::lol:

I agree the DVLA will accept dating letters from In-Motion/Bultaco UK provided that the bike in question is in the Commerfords ledgers. I have registered two Bultaco's in the past and used dating letters provided by In-Motion. In-Motion cannot provide dating letters for bikes not imported by Commerfords. I am going through this issue myself at the moment as I am trying to register a 1976 Alpina first sold in the USA and imported to the UK about 4 years ago. In-Motion can not provide me with a dating letter. I have dicussed this with Dave at length and have gone  the VMCC route myself. I know that the VMCC use Dave as an marque expert.

The original posters bike is a model 27 first registered on a F plate which dates the bike to 1967 which also agress with the model 27 production dates of 67/68. At this time the Bultaco Importers were the Rickman Brothers. The consession changed to Commerfords on October 1969. The bike in question will not exist in the ledgers held by In-Motion as imported pre Commerfords. I was aware of this when I gave my original advice.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twinnshock said:

I think the following will make me look like an anorack/quite pedantic but I am going to post it anyway.:lol::lol:

I agree the DVLA will accept dating letters from In-Motion/Bultaco UK provided that the bike in question is in the Commerfords ledgers. I have registered two Bultaco's in the past and used dating letters provided by In-Motion. In-Motion cannot provide dating letters for bikes not imported by Commerfords. I am going through this issue myself at the moment as I am trying to register a 1976 Alpina first sold in the USA and imported to the UK about 4 years ago. In-Motion can not provide me with a dating letter. I have dicussed this with Dave at length and have gone  the VMCC route myself. I know that the VMCC use Dave as an marque expert.

The original posters bike is a model 27 first registered on a F plate which dates the bike to 1967 which also agress with the model 27 production dates of 67/68. At this time the Bultaco Importers were the Rickman Brothers. The consession changed to Commerfords on October 1969. The bike in question will not exist in the ledgers held by In-Motion as imported pre Commerfords. I was aware of this when I gave my original advice.

Stuart

As i said, The V62 will be fine as he has a registration number already, just needs to pay his £25.00 and done, May even get it back.  No need for all the other advice on what you don't need to do as that makes it more complex than it needs to be.!......... Worked many years with the DVLA......  

Edited by gasserguy

borderbul - Glad to read that you did the sensible thing and contacted DVLA - please keep us posted with how you get on !

gasserguy - The reason for my post and the "complex advice" is that I've fallen foul of DVLA rules in the past. 

Example :- I had no V5 doc. for a bike which I had owned and been the "registered keeper" of  for 10+ years and  for which I had both old tax discs and an old style logbook IN MY NAME.  I was informed by DVLA that the reg. mark was no longer valid as it had not been transferrred to the computerised register, and that the bike would have to be allocated a new age-related number. Some time later,  and after selling the bike, I learned that a subsequent owner found himself in the same boat, and the bike ended up being allocated a THIRD registration mark ....! 

Furthermore, I've read that DVLA has progressively tightened up its procedures regarding old vehicles and retention of reg. marks and in view of this, I've since made quite sure that any (registered) bike I own has a V5 or V5C in my name !!

twinnshock - Thanks for pointing out the importer position "pre-Comerford's" - I'd forgotten about that.  As a VMCC member, I am also aware that the club has had a vacancy for a Bultaco marque expert for quite some time.

Edited by lorenzo