Dad & Son bought a Techno 96 for some fun!

Bernie the Bolt

Morning everyone, Finally bought my boy his first trials bike, it is his Christmas present! Poor boy has had a helmet, boots and gloves for nigh on six months, has looked at several heaps but finally found what we wanted in budget.

So we have brought it home and given it a visual once over, blind leading the blind as far as modern bikes go. My history was a Montesa Cota 247, mooching around our woods and having fun. Right shin to match the kick start!

There are cosmetic's to do, swinging arm bearings to replace and fit a kill switch for a newbee. We have also noticed the thermostat has been removed and a multi fit fan fitted.

So we have a few questions, most importantly what is the best kill switch to use for a complete novice?

The other is how do we check if the cooling side of things is working? Fan runs all the time but has been put on an adaptor plate which covers 25mm of the top of the rad. I think it is on back to front as it is drawing air from the engine through the rad. Surely this should be the other way around?

How do we prove the water is circulating?

I appreciate I need to go looking for feeds relating to this, but hey if you don't ask you don't get.

Last one, does anyone have a user manual for the year of bike? It would be good for the boy to read through and understand what needs doing and when.

Once he has mastered riding it and been up in the woods, he is interested in having a go at an event, something I know nothing about, other than watching Kickstart from back in the day. I guess we would both benefit from attending a few trials to watch and learn.

So that's us and our new little project. Some great Boy Dad time fixing, learning and I expect breaking.... Less of the latter hopefully.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Bolt (Not Usane)

3 hours ago, oni nou said:

There is a rad and cooling fan complete on Ebuy  right now for £55 it would be easier to just fit that and wire to the thermo switch on the head [if its there and works] unless you like home fabrication etc but I guess if you did you would not be asking these questions.....You will soon know if water isn't circulating on a small cooling system like that on a trials bike.The fan should be pulling cool air from the front fork side of the radiator with it exiting around the cylinder. You may find an owners manual on Ebuy and other general information by googling and going to the Beta specific forum on trials central.Regards

Thanks, I had looked at fettling some aluminium, but to be honest a complete fan as a whole lot easier and quicker. Purchased it right now! Off to purchase a stat online next. Any wiring diagrams out there, as it looks like I may have to do a little knitting, undoing what some one has done.....

So once fitted both, can I rely on the stat cutting in and out to tell me all is well?

Cheers

Bernie