Clutch slipping on Beta rev3 2002 200

Tilly60

Hi 

I know this has been covered loads of time and I have been through the Beta forum

i have done the “fix” with removing the glue, I have used light emery on the flat plates,

the oil in gearbox is Silkoleane light gear oil 75w. Which is 10/40 I believe, this was in when

purchased

i have done the refitting and when I start up on stand, depress clutch and put in 1st or 2nd and the back wheel spins, if I put brake on then I can rev and engine doesn’t cut out so it’s slipping

if  put it in 4th or 5th the rear wheel doesn’t spin

new clutch oil in reservoir and all bled, enough play at hand control end

thanks in advance 

You say you have tested it on a stand, does this mean you have not tried riding it...?

Maybe your bite point is out of adjustment...  Have you re-assembled the push rods and mushroom correctly...?

Aren't two of the plates thicker, and need to be put on the outer and inner of the clutch pack...   You did put the springs back in..???

Edited by scifi

Yes only tested on stand,

I bought the bike toook it out of garage next day and started it up, when I put into 1st gear it lurched forward and to be honest **** me up as not expexting it, so been  apprehensive, hence only on the stand, did the clutch “ fix” 

i addjusted the hand lever so that the bite was just slack 3mm

on the plates , at the back it’s fixed and front it’s the cover that fixes it, sure I put them back as was

the springs have been tightened to the stops

is there something I’m missing ?

Sounds as though you have only just got this bike. After standing it is quite normal for some bikes of this kind for their clutches to stick....not releasing when you pull in the clutch lever. The trick is to pull in the clutch and select 1st or 2nd gear and then rock the bike back and forth to free the clutch plates. Some will not free until you’ve got heat into the engine and more importantly the clutch, then they usually free up. If I’m reading your post right you have stripped the clutch down because of a perceived fault when there wasn’t one...no disrespect to your mechanical skills but it does sound as others have stated that you’ve assembled the clutch incorrectly. Hope you sort it out??

Hi thanks for the reply

i freed all the glue around the clutch plates as per the link on this site.

when the cover is taken of the plates are behind the cover that is held in place by 6 bolts, washers and springs

after the cleaning up I did the above in reverse

its a lot better than it was 

i will strip and have another look !

thanks

Cold stick is a pain, but not the end of the world. If rocking it in gear with the engine off doesn't clear it, put the front wheel against a wall. Run the engine, clutch in, knock it into second gear. It will probably just clear on it's own, but on my 4T it would just start turning the back wheel so I had to give it a sniff of throttle and bump my weight down on the bike. Done once, it was slightly draggy until the engine warmed up, then OK until it had stood for a few hours again.

Thanks for this, just seems that Beta haven’t sorted this out as it’s been going on for years, I thought a fix would have been done via a mod to the plates, but hey ho will try and thanks again

this I by far one of the best forums that I know of, and what’s brill we all have a common interest, - Bikes ??

9 hours ago, Nebulous said:

The Silkoline 75w has a really bad viscosity index - which means it’s like really thick when cold , and water when hot.  The plates have a hard time throwing that thick stuff off their surface.   Here’s a  trials central table of indeces.

It would appear that , on a budget - the Mobil Dextron 6 would be your best bet. 

02840EFC-8261-4D3C-A21F-3ED8DB2DA79B.jpeg

When I type in Mobil™ DEXRON-VI ATF I get Mobil ATF 320 is this it, sorry but not sure

15 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

I didn’t mention ATF.  Furthermore , I wouldn’t use ATF in case of clutch-plate swell.   Try this.

A852A3D0-2F24-4D68-836C-E79165AA9F47.jpeg

I have ordered the putoline as above, ?? crossed and thanks again ?