Should I buy a 1986 Honda TLR200 that won't start?

worstell

1 hour ago, Nebulous said:

You trying to tell me that you would have spotted those valve-clearances straight away?  Do those , and I have a nice bike - once I put the original cushion-plates on , and set it up.  I got the bike for £250 less than the going rate for that machine.  With your “bedside-manner” he’d have probably charged you extra.   But you are a special case aren’t you?

At least I’d have put some oil in the spark plug hole and turned it by hand a few times - before attempting to start that TLR.   

You rip classic bikes to shreds, but take everything so personally. Don't give it if you can't take it.

I believe the internal gearbox ratios are the same.  Only the final drive is different.  The trials TLR200 came with larger diameter forks, aluminum rims and a much better skid plate plus the lightweight seat/ tank.  I think the front brake is different too.  The Reflex came with all of the street legal equipment but it can be removed.  The larger Reflex gas tank and seat make it a good choice for trails like the Rubicon.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mcman56 said:

I believe the internal gearbox ratios are the same.  Only the final drive is different.

Wrong.  The UK spec TLR had a Trials ratio gearbox, the US spec Reflex had a trail ratio gearbox for twiddling down the trail looking at the birdies (among other differences). 

Could you ride one in Trials?  Sure, I did years ago.  Is it capable?  At a lower club level, sure.  Is it a good beginner bike to get your feet wet in Trials?  Ah, no.  Many, MANY other bikes make much better beginner bikes for your $1000.  

Can you detail the gear box differences?  Where do they fit in?  Do you have numbers? 

Carb works fine when tuned properly.  All that is needed is a richer pilot jet and adjustable needle.  Needle is available from  carb rebuilds kits on ebay.  Carb on the reflex is the same as TL125 and other 125s like SL125, etc.  Although they do not seem as readily available as they once were  https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-SL125-SL125S-Carburetor-repair-Kit-KEYSTER-KH-0047/253694458093?hash=item3b115e38ed:g:bOYAAOSw6EhUNWk1

image.png.98adc0cf3faf5296808bbb0c7427a832.png

18 hours ago, mcman56 said:

Can you detail the gear box differences?  Where do they fit in?  Do you have numbers? 

Carb works fine when tuned properly.  All that is needed is a richer pilot jet and adjustable needle.  Needle is available from  carb rebuilds kits on ebay.  Carb on the reflex is the same as TL125 and other 125s like SL125, etc.  Although they do not seem as readily available as they once were  https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-SL125-SL125S-Carburetor-repair-Kit-KEYSTER-KH-0047/253694458093?hash=item3b115e38ed:g:bOYAAOSw6EhUNWk1

image.png.98adc0cf3faf5296808bbb0c7427a832.png

Is the TLR200R in the table above the Reflex?  Or is it the "real deal" trials version that people speak of?

BTW, I'm the OP.  I hesitated on the Reflex, and it was sold to someone else.  Based on some posts here, not sure I missed out.  Nonetheless, I'm still curious about the Reflex and whether it would suit my purpose (play bike and non-serious trials).  

2 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

What? In the way that some northern women still wonder about whether Peter Sutcliffe was just acting in good faith.  BTW I’m Nebulous , the guy from the 4th post on page 1.  In a nutshell , there are more enjoyable ways to throw $1,000 down the drain.

What you talking about Willis?  Might have to google that one ... must be UK reference.  

I don't doubt your advice.  It has been echoed by a few others in this thread.

1 minute ago, Nebulous said:

I have to seriously wonder.  Your friend has an Evo 300. You both have Enduro bikes. Yet you ask us whether a 30 year old bike with no trials pedigree whatsoever , that doesn’t run - could be fun , as in “me and my friend would like to do some trials play riding”?     Approaching it from a different angle - what does your Evo 300 friend see as “play riding”?  If it’s him jumping up 3ft ledges and laughing as you slam yet again head-first into the rocks - then I could understand his fascination.  Yours is a little more elusive?

Thus the point of asking the question in the first place.  But wonder away if you like.

The non adjustable needle was the only smog compromise to the carb. I have not seen one with a cap over the pilot jet like some other street legal bikes. As I remember the carb was exactly the same a a tl125 when viewed side by side at least the us models

Oh for goodness sake just go and buy a PROPER Trials bike and that should put a stop to this comparison of an unsuitable bike the Reflex with a suitable bike the TLR. That Reflex you are looking at will probably be snapped up by one of the many commissioned buyers in the US it’ll come over to UK in a container and be advertised at three time the price it was for sale in the States...some sap will buy it and then spend £££’s trying to make into something it will never be...a Trials machine. Put another $500 to your $1000 and go for broke with an Ossa, Montesa or even a Bultaco.??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nebulous said:

Dear Trials Central. Me and my mate (Who’s just bought a 2018 formula 1 car) would like to do some formula 1 play-driving.  I’ve found a 1986 Renault Megane that won’t start. But the seller assures me that , with a squirt of easy-start - it should be ok.  Question is - how long can I keep this thread going?

Yeah but if I can retrofit the Reflex with a rear rack like the UK model I'd be able pick up some groceries after doing some badass trials maneuvers - which by the way would of course get me all the girls.:D   Lighten up my friend.  

6 hours ago, Nebulous said:

Dear Trials Central. Me and my mate (Who’s just bought a 2018 formula 1 car) would like to do some formula 1 play-driving.  I’ve found a 1986 Renault Megane that won’t start. But the seller assures me that , with a squirt of easy-start - it should be ok.  Question is - how long can I keep this thread going?

Until I get fed up of your blatant trolling...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, worstell said:

Is the TLR200R in the table above the Reflex?  Or is it the "real deal" trials version that people speak of?

BTW, I'm the OP.  I hesitated on the Reflex, and it was sold to someone else.  Based on some posts here, not sure I missed out.  Nonetheless, I'm still curious about the Reflex and whether it would suit my purpose (play bike and non-serious trials).  

Judging solely on the other models listed on that table that were not available here in the U.S., I'd say it's the Euro-spec more Trials-ready TLR.  I would look in my US spec Reflex TLR service manual, but it went to the new owner along with the bike when I traded it for a 348 Montesa.  B)

Folks have a love-hate relationship with Reflexes.  While they can be modded to be competitive, they still are not as good a Trials bike as genuine Trials bikes were in the mid-'80's.  This is because they were not Trials bikes in the first place they were trail bikes styled like Trials bikes, pure and simple.  I built one out of 3 piles of junk (literally), rode it for a few years, and parked it for 4 years.  All chronicled here (don't flame me Andy, it has posts from He Who Shall Not Be Named) -

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/fun-with-outright-junk.562129/

Do I miss it?  Well, it was the bike of choice for running the coyote around the property.  Otherwise, no.  I really do believe that you will be much happier starting out with a gennie Trials bike rather than a "tribute".  Good luck, and let us know what you find.  :thumbup:

Edited by brewtus
Boffed the math