Gas Gas factory bike detail

drca

3 hours ago, oni nou said:

At least GasGas makes the effort with its production bikes that are fairly similar to the works bikes; which is more than can be said of the Honda.with all its one off Titanium parts etc.

I agree, all the manufacturers, except Honda, sell a bike that is virtually identical to the machines the works riders use; the TRRS Gold being the latest example.  As we all know Tony Bou is a brilliant rider who has dominated the sport for a dozen years and remains a difficult man to beat; so why impose a minimum weight limit that keeps his bike competitive by stifling the development of rival brands?

4 hours ago, oni nou said:

Its not a production bike its a works bike; so as long as they  get the desired result there is no real advantage to them dressing it up to look pretty.. 

A bit of professional pride maybe

5 hours ago, oni nou said:

I agree polished things are pretty, but GasGas are obviously not interested in what things like that particular trivial item looks like and are more focused on winning.... which they did. If that turned up on a production bike it would be a bit of a poor showing but on a works bike ............ they probably have more important things to think about.

I imagine their professional pride was huge when they saw Fajardo and then Busto stood on the top step of the podium and knowing that they had beaten Honda [with all its polishing resources]with a bike with a piece of metal bar jammed in between the frame and the bash plate  the equivalent of an extended middle finger.....

It’s not polishing it’s just doing things right and that’s not - it’s shoddy end off.

We could even have 2 shocks rather than that expensive linkage stuff and those radiators are expensive so will get rid of them :

we could even stop them from stopping and balancing in the sections - done that ????

why stop progress. 

Ifyou want to save cost make them all turn up in a transit and no mechanic, minder, team manager ., chef etc etc 

• Haha 1

I mentioned this in a similar discussion in another forum ... why not have all riders ride identically prepared bikes? And to make it fair there would be a round for each sponsor (GG, Honda, TRRS, whatever). This would level the field and test the rider skills and not just the depths of the manufacturer's pockets. Unfortunately, the failing in this proposal is that it's not about who's the best rider but about which brand "wins" so that weekend wanna-bes buy that winning brand. :stupid:

Even better - you can buy the winners bike at any round for the retail price of that model !!!

However the stuff Honda are / have developed in trials has been transferred into main stream production and the stuff they are doing with the twin spark set up to soften / increase combustion burn is pretty cutting edge - would we want to stop this ??

43 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

the stuff they are doing with the twin spark set up to soften / increase combustion burn is pretty cutting edge - would we want to stop this ??

Come on, twin spark is as old as the hills!!!! CZ were doing that in the 60s

PS, if it is indeed lead, lead is rather hard to fashion into a respectable shape. I think it looks rather well

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/06/2018 at 9:43 PM, faussy said:

Come on, twin spark is as old as the hills!!!! CZ were doing that in the 60s

Twin spark maybe but firing them independently and changing the relationship of the timing to alter engine performance to make to aggressive or soft  dependent on throttle demand is a bit more than CZ did I think 

4 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Twin spark maybe but firing them independently and changing the relationship of the timing to alter engine performance to make to aggressive or soft  dependent on throttle demand is a bit more than CZ did I think 

No, CZ had two separate ignitions that fired at different times, i.e. independently. Yes, the honda has the ability to vary the timing between the two sparks, but hardly cutting edge when as i said CZ were doing this in the 60s

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2018 at 8:04 PM, oni nou said:

Interesting to see that the bike also uses the now discontinued[to the general public ;except for NOS]AJP large clutch m/cylinder and also the old 2 piece 4 pot AJP front brake calliper that I recently noticed is still being used on Toni Bou's bike also;along with the 20 odd year old Nissin 11mm front brake m/cylinder.......Clubmen everywhere must be laughing their heads off that the top works riders budget does not stretch to the cutting edge hydraulic parts that they have fitted as standard on their production bikes such as the very special and superior mono bloc calliper,poor old top works riders are at the trailing edge of technology.

Comedian Marc Colomer " The suspension is nothing special...just settings"

I have that master cylinder on my bike (or very similar) and it's the only one I've not had to service and million times unlike the AJP. Shame They don't make a rear brake master cylinder that fits the 4rt as mine has recently decided to leak from every possible exit. 

2 hours ago, faussy said:

No, CZ had two separate ignitions that fired at different times, i.e. independently. Yes, the honda has the ability to vary the timing between the two sparks, but hardly cutting edge when as i said CZ were doing this in the 60s

Think that's a bit like saying you had tv in the 60s so a modern voice activated, internet linked LED wide screen TV isn't cutting edge -just my take on it:P

21 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Think that's a bit like saying you had tv in the 60s so a modern voice activated, internet linked LED wide screen TV isn't cutting edge -just my take on it:P

Then we will have to agree to disagree ;):P Its a lot easier to expand on an idea than to be the originator. I doubt even CZ were the first

• Like 1

2 hours ago, faussy said:

Then we will have to agree to disagree ;):P Its a lot easier to expand on an idea than to be the originator. I doubt even CZ were the first

Evidently we invented football but will see later where that gets us too :D:lol::crying::camgavhl:???

• Haha 1

On 30/06/2018 at 9:14 PM, oni nou said:

Electric bikes will put a stop to that in the very near future so I am not sure if it will be that important unless of course all other manufacturers are forced to do what Honda wants to do.

stop to what? very near future? how long is that?