RichardH

Spares Availability

I'm contemplating buying a 2012 tr280i, but am concerned about the spares situation now that the factory is closed. I spoke to a chap at Trials & Tribulations who was very gloomy and basically told me not to touch it.

Birketts are currently closed so can't ask them. Does anyone have any views or advice?

Thanks

1 minute ago, RichardH said:

I'm contemplating buying a 2012 tr280i, but am concerned about the spares situation now that the factory is closed. I spoke to a chap at Trials & Tribulations who was very gloomy and basically told me not to touch it.

Birketts are currently closed so can't ask them. Does anyone have any views or advice?

Thanks

You obviously want one badly as you just dis regarded the opinion of some one who's only job everyday is obtaining and selling[ ONLY] trials related spare parts for all the modern makes.

If you call Nigel Birkett who as the old importer of the marque and probably having some bits and pieces of old stock sat about collecting dust he is hardly going to tell you not to buy an Ossa is he

I would recommend you get one; they look great and its Green which is good.

If you want a bike that is complicated when it needs repairing with EFi and is Green then you could try Vertigo at least that is still in production so it will be a little easier getting parts.

Or you could get a GasGas  and paint it Green .....Green Graffix sets are available for the GasGas  also, but more importantly Parts are available..........at the moment.

Because it’s an early model - it will be much more likely to present problems.  However , a lot of the parts are common to Gas Gas and should present not too much of a problem to find. The kickstart is brutal , but the bikes themselves to ride are unique - and very capable.

The deal would have to be very cheap indeed , for me to be tempted.  To run as your main bike - it’s a big risk. 

Ha ha. Oni.

Yes , you could go to a northern distributor for Vertigo and buy a second-hand bike , made in 2016 , sold in 2017 - and fitted with 2018 stickers - for £5k. It will have only been ridden hard for 2 years!  Or Jon’s year-old Titanium R - ridden at every trial and demo day for a year and currently being offered for £300 below list price for the 2019 bike which should arrive in August!  Or you could take that kind of budget , and buy Vertigo helmet , boots , pants , vest , jacket , watch , socks , gloves , scarf , personal-organiser ,and car-stickers - and maybe have enough left-over for a 2002 Beta Rev 3!!!

I agree , talk to Nigel if you wish to be sold some more - but there are later Ossa’s around that would be a better prospect.  Don’t for a second think that you’ve found the holy-grail in trials bikes though - otherwise they would be much more prevalent.   Likewise Jotagas - nice on paper , but the reality could be a rude awakening - and a confidence-crushing exercise in reverse retail-therapy.

Consider whether you wish to join the throng of spanner-wielding masochists that plague the newbie thread-scene (like me!) - or whether you’d rather have a bike to ride , enjoy - and throw the odd air-filter , oil-filter and fluids at it now and again?

Edited by Nebulous
  • Haha 1

Unless its dirt cheap i wouldnt be considering it. They werent a great bike when there were spares, even less of a bike now

Many thanks for the advice everyone. Shame about the Vertigo - that was my second choice!

So maybe I'll just stick with my Tiger Cub - shame it's not green though.

2 hours ago, RichardH said:

Many thanks for the advice everyone. Shame about the Vertigo - that was my second choice!

So maybe I'll just stick with my Tiger Cub - shame it's not green though.

Stav in Chorley had a British-racing green-framed Cub last month when I looked.   Vertigos?   Hmmm . I know of one that disappeared from ebay at £3,795 - a mint 2017 Camo. A week later , and there’s a mint 2017 Camo at Cloburns for £4,895 with 2018 stickers. And I look at ebay every day , several times.  Could be a different bike - but you do wonder?   Only John Lee’s in Rushden gave me straight talking as regards the world of used Vertigos.  Blazely  is simply too far away? I’m waiting for the Aug issue of 2019 Vertigo's - then surely there will be a few more appear on ebay.  Dealers are in panic-mode , trying to shift existing stock - although it’s only one or two bikes/dealers we are talking about.  June definitely seems the wrong time to buy any bike.

Don’t need all that Vertigo gear anyway - just a Jitsie data top in green , and a Torx “doug” helmet - and off you go!  Me , I don’t need any of it - most people on the site think I’m “green” enough!  

Edited by Nebulous

Cloburn 180 trials are running a Vertigo open day this Saturday. I had assumed this would be one the test days Vertigo set up from time to time but a phone enquiry revealed it's actually to try to move on their second-hand Vertigo stock, which seems to tie in with other comments in this thread.

11 minutes ago, cleanorbust said:

Cloburn 180 trials are running a Vertigo open day this Saturday. I had assumed this would be one the test days Vertigo set up from time to time but a phone enquiry revealed it's actually to try to move on their second-hand Vertigo stock, which seems to tie in with other comments in this thread.

Mate - he wants to sell his year-old Titanium R before next month.  Pure and simple.  Still riding it every week though. £300 below list price? Give me a break!  

Some straight talking and another £700 off - it might well be sitting here now.  But he scared me off with blather - just like Stav in Chorley. Is there a cocaine problem in northern trials? They must be on something!

Edited by Nebulous
  • Like 1

Buy the ossa if it is a good price and in good nick. I have had 2 and they are brilli@nt bikes to ride so I dont know what Faussy is talking about. 

14 minutes ago, canada280i said:

Buy the ossa if it is a good price and in good nick. I have had 2 and they are brilli@nt bikes to ride so I dont know what Faussy is talking about. 

So where would you go to get it re-mapped?  

3 hours ago, Nebulous said:

So where would you go to get it re-mapped?  

What's wrong with the current map ?

18 minutes ago, b40rt said:

What's wrong with the current map ?

What if a sensor goes , and it throws a code? What are you going to do then?

2 hours ago, Nebulous said:

What if a sensor goes , and it throws a code? What are you going to do then?

make your mind up! nebulus  good deal you be tempted /later ossa better prospect.?  Then go off to slag vertigo dealer but you want a vertigo  dont like the price then dont buy it . You have done nothing but complain about the montesa YOU bought with all its faults .So are your really  the man to give advice on buying a trials bike ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1