Spares Availability

RichardH

I'm contemplating buying a 2012 tr280i, but am concerned about the spares situation now that the factory is closed. I spoke to a chap at Trials & Tribulations who was very gloomy and basically told me not to touch it.

Birketts are currently closed so can't ask them. Does anyone have any views or advice?

Thanks

Cloburn 180 trials are running a Vertigo open day this Saturday. I had assumed this would be one the test days Vertigo set up from time to time but a phone enquiry revealed it's actually to try to move on their second-hand Vertigo stock, which seems to tie in with other comments in this thread.

2 hours ago, Nebulous said:

What if a sensor goes , and it throws a code? What are you going to do then?

make your mind up! nebulus  good deal you be tempted /later ossa better prospect.?  Then go off to slag vertigo dealer but you want a vertigo  dont like the price then dont buy it . You have done nothing but complain about the montesa YOU bought with all its faults .So are your really  the man to give advice on buying a trials bike ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Walk away !!! . T&T man dead right. Need to do something about your green fetish too, as it will get you into bother.  At risk of infringing libel laws here, go talk to riders in the know.  Check out what the local riders are on week in week out ??.

As a good example, regularly, over 40% of entries in Gods county are on Beta's.

Go for something that works & has a good back up service. 

Don't go for anything complicated unless its made by Honda, (Mont).

Remapping, etc, etc. Favourite topic of b***sh****trs

9 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

I didn’t buy an Ossa because I’m not a good enough rider to know if it was not good.  But a great bike in the right hands by all accounts. Reliability of early models was a big question mark.

I haven’t bought a Vertigo yet , because one hasn’t yet appeared at the right price - being sold by a straight-talking seller.  When I say right price ,  I don’t mean cheap. I just mean realistic for June. The dealer in question spoke like a tit. Rambling on about -“there’s only one Beyonce , but there’s 30 of these (titaniums)”.  What the hell does that even mean? His price is insanity, greed or drugs , or both.

My Montesa came with tight valve-clearances , custom linkage-plates , masses of pre-load - and everything set really weird. Delivered to a beginner that had never ridden a trials bike.  With bolts pinched-up really tight.  Anyone would moan. But the bike was bought sight unseen from the main marker for Exmoor trials club. I was convinced he knew his stuff.  Two possible scenarios - either he didn’t , and the bike is fine. Or he did , and knowingly sold me a dud. So far it looks like being the first , but it was a close run thing - and my inexperience didn’t help.  Thanks to the good people that helped me - I can relate to the bike now , as I first did - but had a predictable lull in the middle , wondering what I’d done.  Was I in that much of a rush to get a bike? Seems so - bad move , but I think I,ve been lucky. Hope that’s clear enough for you.

clear as mud ,And the moral of the story is your money your choice your problem !

The best thing about having an Ossa is that it's different. I know Beta's are like a plague in most places, round here it's Scorpas as we've a very good dealer.

Still looks more modern than anything  love it when folk are moaning about dirt in there carbs.

Would I buy a new one if they started up again? No because I'm a miserable tight Fifer and anyway this one runs spot on.

Oh, and the local Scorpa  knows all about Ossa's too.

12 minutes ago, breagh said:

The best thing about having an Ossa is that it's different. I know Beta's are like a plague in most places, round here it's Scorpas as we've a very good dealer.

Still looks more modern than anything  love it when folk are moaning about dirt in there carbs.

Would I buy a new one if they started up again? No because I'm a miserable tight Fifer and anyway this one runs spot on.

Oh, and the local Scorpa  knows all about Ossa's too.

Ignorance is bliss, I bet you didn't know they were crap before reading this thread ... 

How many ssdt's has it done, 2 or 3 ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, papapitufo said:

http://www.soloecu.es/

You can send the ecu and they update it to you.
Xavi Membribes is the owner, and was the one who developed the ossa injection.
There is still parts, you just have to search.

Saludos

Does Xavi have any custom factory 300 maps lying around that are not part of the package generally available?

Lots are parts are ‘standard’ trials stuff- but certainly some stuff will get hard to find.

Setting injection, checking and trouble (not really many ‘codes’) is easy (like mentioned, software and now cables are readily avlailiable).  I have both and find (at least mine) likes to have the TPS reset about every 100 hours.   I have almost 400 hours on my Explorer (also have a low hour factory 300) and is my favorite bike. But I want to be able to keep riding it so I bought a Beta 4T I can ride also and put less hours on the OSSA.

The Beta is actually very similar to ride as the OSSA, nice smooth engine, weight about the same as the Explorer (much more than the factory). OSSA might have a bit better balance, but I’m just an intermediate trials rider (although I’ve been riding 50 years) and perhaps have no clue what I’m talking about.

I would suggest a 2014 or newer, some big improvements were made.    Still claims by the owner to try and start production again, but at this point I doubt it. Unless someone comes along and just starts it up with loads of money to do it right.  Probably would need to be a big company like KTM that wants to build trials bikes and doesn’t.  Seems unlikely to me. There is certainly a LOT of things it has I like more than any other current bike out there.  The air filter location is one (way up high by the steering stem- stays really clean and doesn’t fill with water), radiator location (stays clean of mud etc and very protected), exhaust (tucked out of the way from damage), cassette gearbox (service is really easy if required), FI into the crankcase/transfer port (better fuel ecomomy and runs super clean)

oh well.  Lots of great bikes out there.

Edited by lotus54